Reason
Lost a loved one
Country
US
State
NY
City
Latham
Was just sitting here with a glass of single malt and rolling through some old memories. Liz and I used to watch "Monarch of the Glen" every week. Loved that show! It was a BBC series about a Scottish estate in contemporary times. Great characters and interesting insights into the life of a "noble family" trying to make a go of it on a 400 year old Scottish estate. Beautiful scenery and architecture, a real treat for the eyes. Not at all like American TV, kids would probably find it boring but we really enjoyed the interplay between the characters. Being about half Scottish it really made me want to make a trip to the Highlands. What do you like to see on the tube?
Dick

Les is a big DOG the BOUNTY HUNTER fan. My all time favorite was MARY HARTMAN,MARY HARTMAN. Recently enjoyed Rescue Me, and Nip Tuck. We are also big Nascar fans. HUGS Lori

Most Masterpiece Theater and several Mystery series are our favorites, Dick. We like the classics for the most part. I'm not familiar with "Monarch of the Glen", but will look for it. Netflix downloads several of these great BBC shows, and others come only through mail. If we really like a series, sometimes I order it through Amazon. Foyle's War is mostly in my hit parade, and season 6 is coming out very soon.

There are also a couple of serial movies that came out of England that we both really liked, Sharp's Rifles and the Horatio Hornblower films. Both are dramatic recreations of the Napoleonic Wars, Sharps on land, Hornblower at sea. Both were book series first, Hornblower is classic lit. The movies are all very well done. I'm a bit of an 18th, early 19th century history nut, but Liz really liked both of the series as well (maybe it was because they were both full of male actors with English accents, who knows). Fun times though.
Dick

Dick, can you find out if it is possible to rent that series? I would love to watch it. I don't actually watch much TV. If I do it is Discovery, National Geographic, History or the Classics. Have to admit that I love Oprah and Ellen and love it when I catch them on the TV. Last night I stumbled across "I didn't know I was PREGNANT" and was hooked and horrified! Women delivering babies in their toilets! OMG! I guess I like educational TV or movies that have a message and are well done-just not into blood guts or gore [exception the pregnant one and Trauma, Life in the ER lol]

I'm hooked on the Food Channel! Tim is a Nascar fan so I am learning the "sport" but must say that we are Netflix people and have recently enjoyed the classic Alfred Hitchcock movies!

Kay Marie, I caught the title "I Didn't Know I was Pregnant" on the Channel Guide as I was surfing and wondered who would ever watch that -- now I know! :)

Lori and I are still hooked on Ghost Hunters. Several years back, we had traveled to Point Pleasant, West Virginia to garner writing research on the Silver Bridge collapse and the Mothman phenomenon(we had family and friend connections there as well). A year or two later, due to that research, we're invited to join TAPS, specifically the Columbus, Ohio division called Para-x. As I mentioned on another thread, our organization maintained a wholly scientific approach, as my job was to identify electrical shorts, hidden transformers and such that caused his electromagnetic fields or EMFs.(These fields have been found to cause feelings of anxiety). While there is a lot of hokey going on with these TV programs, we still find the history and drama fascinating. Incidentally, there are some unusual studies with former military personnel, that point to high EMF exposure as a causal factor for MNDs. -- JK

My son's absolute favorite is Band of brothers, it is amazing war hbo series. The lead character lives in our town.. If you have not seen it rent it.. Amazing, I think it is ten episodes. Dick winters is the man's name. Be prepared to absolutely love him..

Oh, gee. Dick, we also loved Horatio as well as Sharpe... and I read some Sharpe... and there are new ones out recently on PBS. H4C, we also (Phil and I) read the book, love and own the series to an irrational degree. My favorites are Market Garden and Bastogne. I nearly can speak the lines as they're said. Eugene the medic is my absolute favorite of the bunch... but Dick Winters is amazing. Neat that he lives in your town! Sharpe is the ultimate "Pulp fiction" for boys. I'm beginning to worry.... OK, I do also like Jane Austen a LOT.

My oldest LOVES Jane Austen, as did Liz. We have most of the Sharpe movies, at one time I could sing every word of the title song. My kids loved that, NOT.

Dick

Phil can play the theme for Band of Brothers on his flute... which I do like, lol. Phil, thankfully, likes Jane Austen and most "period" movies, so we share the gory stuff as well as the "literature". I find history fascinating...especially as the repercussions appear for decades or more after a war is over. Phil's really into documentaries, but I rarely watch them more than two or three times.

Star Trek and anything scifi. When I was 8, I saw the very first episode on black and white tv in 1966.

Just finished the whole Torchwood series from the BBC on my iPod.

I have started the Caprica series now.

The good thing about watching shows on the iPod is I can be in the same room as Wanda as she watches her shows.

Its amazing what can found on the 'net

Glen

I liked Torchwood too. Liz didn't, so we rarely watched it. Everyone loves Doctor Who though, so they watch that faithfully every Sunday. I grew up with Star Trek and we also liked Deep Space Nine. The rest of the spinoffs, not so much. You're triggering memories here, thank you.

I like the ((((spectacular)))))) Follies Series (LOL)

Not a huge TV watcher, more of a radio person. All time favorite is hard, because my tastes changed as I aged.

As a little kid, no question, it was Mr Ed, followed closely by Wagon Train...

As a "tween", Get Smart, I Spy, Man from UNCLE....

Star Trek in college

A little older... Magnum PI, Lonesome Dove

Recently... 24, but I DVR and fast forward through the stupid stuff, NCIS... Golf and footfall in hi-def... IMUS in the Morning when the weather is too cold or wet to sit on the deck for coffee in the morning. I'd rather listen to him on the radio, but no stations carry him where I live now.

Never have seen a reality show other than Deadliest Catch, don't watch sitcoms, admit to watching Reno 911 and South Park occasionally...

Rose, it strikes me that in the early TV years, westerns and WW2 shows sort of dominated... and then came the Cold War and spy shows. Shucks. I liked Gunsmoke. I was absolutely seriously in love with The Lone Ranger as well as (at the same time) Zorro. It must be the mask...Who is that masked man? Well, I was six, and early Saturday mornings my big brother and I would turn on TV, and in my memory, both masked men were on.

How about "I Love Lucy"? I feel often like Lucy with ALS, I think she could have made a lot of the ridiculousness pretty funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back