09/2009
Country
US
State
Wa.
City
Puyallup
Hi Guys,
Well, here is the story that has been bugging me to the core! I am a travel agent working 3 x a week 5 hours a day. (would be full time, but my own health issues wont allow it...anyway the way it is set up, I am my own boss) I have over 17 years in this business, and have always loved helping people to get where they need to go, at the very best price. Anyway, a week ago last Thursday a gal came in the office. She was obviously very very sick. She looked to be in her 40's but I would bet she just looked that old because she is so sick. She has stomach cancer. She has already had a bunch of internal organs removed, done the chemo and all, but is now done with all of that, and just wants to die. She has 3 children. 18, 15 and 8. The 8 year old daughter has never known her mom to be well, since she has had the cancer for 8 years now. She wants to take her kids to Disneyworld for a last and first family vacation. She is very sick, so she wants to leave this week. Now, during spring break, last minute, is really really tough to find space on the airlines, and hotels, but I managed to get it for her, and a great resort on Disney property. She tells me she is on welfare/medicaid and that she has what money she has left to leave to her children, hidden in an account with an attorney's office in California. He attorney would need to wire the money. It was 6600.00 for all of them, last minute and all. By the time I had her booked, the attorney could not get to the bank, so I left it with my co-worker and best friend to take the payment the following day since I was off. (Friday) I came into work on Monday and saw the gal sitting at my co-workers desk and they were going through the documentation. I interrupted, because I know my co-worker (um..not calling her my friend at the moment) hadnt thought to follow through with all the needs of this sick woman. I made sure she had the wheelchairs in the airports, and all the info for scooter rentals at Disney and gave her advice on how to get to the front of the lines etc..... She then left. My co-worker turned to me and said, "oh yea, the price went down 600.00 overnight so I (she) charged it as a service fee, (the poor lady never knew the difference), then she charged the regular service fee of 120.00 on top of that, plus the commission on the booking and smiled and said...it would be a 50/50 split on the credit! I just looked at her and said: "You are going straight to hell for pulling that one!" She said she didnt care about taking the extra money because this particular client would not be back with future business! WHAT! Then, she and the owner of this travel agency were laughing that it was the right thing to do because we pay taxes for her welfare, and it was a way to get the money back! The other manager in the office just laughed! Now I used to own my own travel agency, and I would NEVER EVER EVER do something like that! It is not like my co-worker is on straight commission either. It's salary. This just makes me want to cry! How in the world is it that there are people out there that can do things like that! I know times are tough, but to take from a dying person? I wouldn't have done that even if the person was all well and kicking! I would have been happy for them that the price went down! I could not believe that I was the ONLY one sitting there who was appalled! The only reason I work at this particular office is it is the one I sold my business to and I get to work with my old clients. Plus, the way I have it set up, I am my own boss, and I do not have to follow the owners rules or restrictions. I basically rent a desk there. Now, if there are business owners out there reading this, and think, "Wow, wish I had an employee who would be smart enough to turn a 360.00 sale into 1000.00" SHAME ON YOU! I know now that I cannot trust anyone there to handle my clients when I am off. They are my "babies" like I like to call them, and I love to take care of them the way they should be!
URG!.......Just needed to vent, it is STILL upsetting me!
Hugs for listening!
Kari

That really stinks, the only thing we can hope for is that there is a special place in heaven for this woman who is so sick. And that there is a special place in hell for your co-workers. They will eventually get what is coming to them.

Dana

A big Karma event, I foresee! You may need to look for work elsewhere! The flying monkeys will be sent from SD! LOL

Some people just have no morals at all. I hope that someday they see what shallow, unfeeling idiots that they are but I doubt if that will ever happen.

What goes around comes around. Just wait, they'll get theirs

I know, I am just still in shock. My co-worker friend used to work for me as the manager of my agency. She is actually a really really nice person, and was the only one truly there for me after my husband died. Our kids have grown up together....We have known each other since 1986 and I would have NEVER expected this from her! She always has something nice to say about people, never talks trash, but then she does this? When I sold my business in 2003, I secured her position with the new company as part of the contract. When she worked for me, she would have never done that. Makes me wonder what kind of "spell" she is under working for them for the past 6 years!

That is such a sad story.... I am hoping she will come to her senses and do something special for this family when they arrive in Florida. Maybe you could put the bug in her ear!

Hey! That is a GREAT idea kelly! I am not going to wait for my co-worker to do that, obviously she wouldn't want to spend the money. I on the other hand can do the right thing and send her something to her hotel. I know she was worried about how much everything would cost for meals so a HUGE basket with muffins and goodies would help her smile! I am all over that! Thanks for that great idea!
HUGS! Kari

you are wonderful , but i would make that co worker feel guilty ... shame on her

We shall see how she feels about it tomorrow when I call her at work to get the booking number and info so I can call the hotel and try and get the client something nice in her hotel room. I have been giving her sh** all week about it, and she just laughs, but maybe when she sees that I am willing to try and do something to try and make things right, she will get the picture! I will keep you all posted!
Hugs, Kari

Hi Kari ~ Please tell your client if there is any kind of emergency to contact you and then I will do what I can to help since I am only about 30 minutes from Disney World....................................Cate

Ughhh, that kind of behavior is going to effect their souls...shame on THEM!

Oh Cate, thanks for the offer, but I called the office this morning and got her booking info, then got on disneyfloristsdotcom and ordered her the "You Can Do It" gift, (because it had a bunch of stuff to eat that would make her have energy and fun snacks) plus the bag and a Disney waterbottle, then I also had 2 Mickey ears and 2 Minny embroidered with each of their names on it, and then the date on the inside to commemorate the vacation. I had it delivered to their room. Ohhhhhhhhh I feel so much better now! I cant believe I didnt think of this before! Thanks again kelly! When I called the office for the info, I got my co-worker, and she was like "why are you doing this, we didnt make any money on the airline tickets" (we never do anymore, thats not the point) I told her once again, that what she did was wrong, it was not illegal, but it was morally wrong. She thinks I am nuts. WOW! Thanks for supporting my point of view guys!
Big Mickey Magical Hugs!
Kari

I really can't believe anyone would be okay with what was done to this poor woman. Good on you, Blubear, for making it right. I truly can't believe the callousness of some people.
Dick

Thank you again your guys for all your support and wonderful ideas. She will be home on the 14th, and after what I sent her I hope she stops by the office so I can give her a hug. Boy you sure learn about people you would have never to expect to act in such a way. I always thought unless you had some serious mental issues, that most people in general are nice, giving and morally good. I learn something new everyday, and it will always continue to shock me.
Hugs everyone!
Kari

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back