Diagnosis
08/2011
Country
US
State
Missouri
City
Springfield
I confess to being a cheapskate and a powerful lesson has been learned as a result of this flaw. You may have seen these gallon jugs of wine at your local grocer or liquor store. They retail for $9 - $12 depending on the variety of "Fine Table Wine" in said jug. Shucks - why spend $12 when you can get by with $9? Up until now, this has been my philosophy when it comes to purchasing volumes of wine for "medicinal" purposes.

How I came to the realization that this stuff is remarkably terrible is that I still feel that way (this stuff sucks!) into my 3rd glass when my taste buds are now toast!

In an effort to prevent others from making the same mistake, I advise purchasing "Fine Table Wine" in something less than a gallon jug at the bargain basement price of $9.

Someone on this forum likes to state that life is too short to be drinking cheap wine.

A hearty 'Amen" from me - PZ

Last edited:
Hah! Those jugs of wine taste like boiled socks. Well, what you would imagine boiled socks to taste like anyway!

And don't go for the "boxed" wines either! Do they still do that? The vacu-sealed wine packaged in a box...

Yes, CJ, I saw those at the grocery store, too but bypassed them because I thought they're probably emptied into some kind of hi-falootin' wine dispenser (that I don't own).

So, you knowing that this stuff tastes like boiled socks means you must have given it a go at one time or another...

Suddenly I don't feel so all alone!

Last edited:
I just use those jugs for cooking! You can cook up a mean mess of sauted mushrooms and onions with a big jug! And Beef Bourguignon! LOL But back in the day...what did I know? Drinking that stuff actually makes your tongue feel like a sock in the morning!

Hey guys, people who know wine (not I) call that wine in a box "cardbordeaux". Sip on that for a while. --JK

Whoa CJ,

You use your jugs for cooking ?

Ooooweeee - down home dixieland cooking. Does hubby taste test ?

Glen

You guys are just tooo snorting funny! Jay, love the new word! I also buy the "cardbordeaux" in RED and a Cabernat for cooking. Red goes into the Beef stew and the white is for my homemade Carmalized French Onion Soup :] White is fabulous for deglazing the pan and makes such an exquisite flavor mmmmmm Must stop now. Off to make 2 cheesecakes for Valentines. One [New York Style French Vanilla]for our Ministers for keeping our driveways snow free and one [Peanut Butter with a double chocolate crust] for my guys for heart day.

Can you post your recipe for French Onion soup?

Glen

I'll second that GB. But I'm surprised she doesn't call it Norwegian onion soup. I love that stuff, except for the gas.--JK

Glen and Jay, posted it under the "what's cookin" thread! I will have to ask Web if it gives him gas-I didn't notice if it did! Alas, most Norwegian food is fairly bland....this is definitly FRENCH!

Whoa CJ,

Glen

I am certain that this just looks very naughty and you actually didn't mean what it sounds like! ROTFLMAO

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBrittle View Post
Whoa CJ,

GlenI am certain that this just looks very naughty and you actually didn't mean what it sounds like! ROTFLMAO

Kay Marie... I'm pretty certain that Glen actually did mean what it sounds like.. thanks for the laughs one and all.

... Here's a great site that really covers a lot of ground on the subject of liquor. I stumbled across it by accident a while back, and thought it interesting enough to bookmark in my computer...
Spirited Liquor Reviews - Best Bourbon, Vodka, Gin, Tequila, Whiskey, Brandy, Cognac, and Liqueurs - BlueKitchen.net

Ok - CJ after reading your post - I just have one question - exactly how bad was your day that it took 3 glasses of this bad wine before you gave up?

As for me I enjoy "fake" wine (i.e. Arbor Mist) - I always go for the fruity drinks and margaritas are always tops!

Glen,

Suffice it to say that bulbar symptoms are not conducive to taste testing in that regard! LMAO It never hurts to have an extra pair to help with cooking! Too bad though, as I'm not tall enough to utilize that "feature!" LOL LOL :lol:

Ahem...Kay Marie,

Can you post the peanut butter cheesecake recipe? Sounds yummy!

Shelley,

It was Kim that realized after his third glass that his taste buds were gone! If I recollect I probably had to drink more than that to get the real feel that that "jugged" wine was a bad mistake! That was many, many moons ago! I rarely drink wine now. I just cook with it. Wine sometimes makes something in my mind snap. Same thing happens with Gin! (Well, it's worse with Gin - a lot worse! LOL) So I stay away from both, unless a friend brings a small bottle of wine to share. But no Gin whatsoever, unless of course you want to see someone with "Napoleon syndrome" go postal! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back