Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
Illinois
City
Naperville
I want to help raise funds for ALS research and so hope to create some kind of jewelry that can be sold by the Les Turner Foundation ( here in Illinois ) and maybe others too. Like many of you, I wear my silicone bracelet ( Mine says "Fighting Lou Gehrig's Disease ". ) all the time. ( I only take it off when I shower. ) Since I want to wear SOMETHING like this for many years to come ( until a cure is available ), I want to design something "nicer" than this red silicone that is too big for my tiny wrist. Also, I thought it would be nice to wear a "remembrance" of my father's fight...I'm talking FUTURE of course, since Dad is still with us, thank God. Maybe other CALS would like to wear something too, that both reminds them of their lost loved one AND the fight for an ALS cure. ? I will be meeting with a jeweler friend who has made custom pieces for me in the past, and would like to solicit ideas for what kind of jewelry other might like to have. ( If you were to purchase something like this to help fund research. ) A bracelet? Pendant? Charm or a watch? What would you want it to say?
I bought some stones that are my dad's birth stone and may incorporate them into a bracelet, pendant or ring. What kind of engraving/words I may have put on it, or a charm/tag hanging from it I do not know yet. I just want to do SOMETHING to HELP in the fight against this horrid beast of a disease that is taking my father from me. The pain is so great that I need to focus instead on the "something" I CAN do and NOT on what is happening that I cannot change.

Debbie

Debbie,

I think the jewelry is a great idea to help fund ALS services. My thought would be keep it simple. I don't think it would have to "say" anything but could represent the fight of PALS, the need for attention to research, the need for funding support programs and for those that we loved that were so heroic in their journey. I love a CAN DO attitude!
My 2 cents.
Dana

That is a great idea with the jewelry Debbie. I always remember June Carter Cash saying "I am just trying to matter" when anyone asked how she was. I love the concept behind her words. However that phrase might be too long to be workable.
Laurel

Debbie I just read Barry's thread called I Dream. I think those words would be perfect i.e. I Dream.
Laurel

I love the idea of the jewelry. I would DEFINITELY wear something to honor my PALS and all those I've come to meet through this forum.

Have you seen those silver "cuff" style bracelets?-similar to what they gave back in the 70's for POW's? (ugh, I'm dating myself terribly!) Anyway, I also love Laurel's thought about Barry's "I Dream". The other thought I had would be to spin off the ALS Gaurdian Angels" if you wanted to - something simple and elegant.

Let us know how it goes! I'll represent you down here in Florida! We have an ALS Clinic at University of Miami that we'll be connecting with this year, so I'm sure there would be people interested in supporting you.

Melody

Oh, that IS nice! Or how about, "I dream, I matter" ? Thank you for your support. It is SO FRUSTRATING not to be able to do something to help cure my dad, and thinking about what is happening to him only brings tears and more tears. Fir him, and for everyone else who is suffering out there, all I CAN do is help fund research.
Melody, *I thought about those POW bracelets TOO! ( I know I am old. ) People wore those until "their" POW came home. WE can wear OUR "something" until a cure is found, and remember/honor our loved ones at the same time. I just want something better than the silicone bracelets! Would a wider "cuff" metal bracelet of some kind be better? I want to focus my energy on DOING SOMETHING! Thanks to all who offer ideas!

Debbie

Debbie

Debbie I think the POW thickness of bracelet is about right. Some people don't like thick bracelets. I do think "I dream, I matter" sounds just about perfect.
Laurel

Debbie,
I think the thickness of the POW bracelets would be perfect too. Thicker bracelets, tend to be clunkier (but I'm not a fashion diva...tend to lean toward the simpler stuff) If you had someone who could engrave, then people could order them and put the date their PALS was diagnosed. (or for those purchasing in remembrance of, the date they passed on).I like the concept of "wearing until there's a cure" because it feels more hopeful.

I completely get the frustration:mad: Feels like a constant state of being for me since my husband and I began this path this summer...I'm such a "fixer", and I CAN'T FIX THIS!

Anyway, not to turn this into a rant:roll:...let me know if you'd like to brainstorm from the marketing/business perspective (it's what my career is) I bet you could put these on ALS Gaurdian angels site, or even do your own separate website (especially if you came up with a few different items with "I Dream I Matter" (I like the tag idea too-especially for younger adults-I know my girls (19 year old twins) would wear the tag necklace.

Good luck!
Melody

Its a great idea! I cannot wear any metal except real gold or maybe silver due to allergies. I like the saying "ALS UNTIL THERE IS A CURE". Also, getting together with the Guardian Angels and having some of the profit go to them to help ALS patients would be great!
Hugs, Blubear

Fabulous idea and it would be so fantastic if you could tie it in with fundraising for ALS Guardian Angels! I like the "POW" bracelet idea with the engraving-also the tag idea, that would be great for the younger CALS and for BOYS :] The tag could be on a leather string. I guess I would like something on it that would focus on increasing public awareness of our fight against ALS. Not sure what..I also collect Troll Beads and would love beads that would represent our fight against ALS that I could add to my Troll Bead bracelet. :] Love your empowered soul!

Wow! Missed this thread yterday. As I'm reading, I kept thinking, "What about the guys?" Then, Kay Marie covered it! I'm not creative at all so I won't make suggestions, except to say this regarding our ALS: "WE'RE not missing in action, just some of our neurons!" (not intended for the inscription, just the theme of this cool idea) Keep it going. My wife, whose only jewelry is wedding ring/band and her Magen David (Star of David) has some ideas. Later -JK

Gee, I am getting "pumped" from all the wonderful support! I will be meeting with my jeweler friend on Monday, January 4th. I do want to have something for GUYS to wear TOO! Blubear, I will see what kinds of metals can be used, keeping in mind your allergies. I will also contact the Guardian Angels to see if they would be interested in being involved. Indigosd, what are Troll Beads? ( I'll Google 'em! ) We need all we can to be NOTICED and increase awareness! A cure WILL be FOUND!

Debbie

How about a charm that can hang on either a necklace or a bracelet? Maybe if our loved one has passed away, I would like to see the word ALS with angel wings around it? Just a thought. Still thinking....

or.....maybe something that says "ALS GUARDIAN ANGEL" in which the some of the proceeds go the the ALS guardian angel foundation, maybe with the wings like I said? We could put the name of our loved one engraved on the back? Or..um something that says about fighting for a cure that shows the ALS and something strong like boxing gloves, or a pit bull head....or maybe just Kay Marie's "Flying Monkeys" hahahah.....just some thoughts
Hugs for this great idea, its in my head all the time of what to say or how it would look to get attention. Keeps my mind on something positive, THANKS FOR THAT!
Blubear

Wonderful idea. I do think the ALS must be included somehow. PErhaps if you did work this with the guardian angels as some have suggested it would help in getting things marketed etc. instead of having to go it alone.

And the size would have to be adjustable for evident reasons. What about ear-rings and brooches? Nipple rings;-)?

I really think it should bear something that states our message, ie something about fighting ALS. I love the dream idea but that could be anything unless we add something about dreaming to conquer ALS. But I am sure you wll do a range so we can be dreamers one day and fighters the next.
And this has made me think. I am going to create POSTERS and stickers we can put on our wheelchairs and our car windows.

Bravo little créatrice (french for female creator. IS there an English word?)out there. So much better to create and fight than sit and cry.....
Love you all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back