Diagnosis
7/2008
Country
US
State
Maryland
City
Anytown
In response to popular request, I uploaded some photos from the autumn trip we took along the Skyline Drive. The album is open for public viewing on my profile page.

Isn't the digital age great! Its so much better than holding friends captive in the livingroom and subjecting them to a slide projector!

Here are a couple of photos that are in the album.

Attachments

• sky and stone wall.jpg
    sky and stone wall.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 214
  • skyline panoramic.jpg
    skyline panoramic.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 202
Wow, GORGEOUS! Thanks for sharing, Rose!
xo

Gorgeous!Where is it?

Rose,

The last pic in your album. Is that a MG ? a Shelby ?

Glen

Trust a guy to ask a car question!

Gorgeous!Where is it?
Colleen, it a hundred mile stretch of the Blue Ridge Parkway running from Virginia to to South Carolina along the Appalachian Mountains. It is particularly beautiful in Fall and Spring. It was built during the Depression as part of FDR's stimulus package (don't know what they called it then). I first drove along it with my parents in the 1950's, again in the 1970's and most recently about 5 years ago. Except for more traffic it is little changed. No commercial vehicles are allowed. If you every have a chance to drive along any or all of it, do it.

Warning, don't drive it if you suffer from acrophobia. I did it with a friend once and neither of us enjoyed the jaw-dropping vistas.

Glen, you were close with the MG, I am going to say that it is the Mini Cooper. Great fall colours Rose, looks like a fabulous place.

Beautiful pics. Thanks for sharing.

breathtaking.thanks for sharing. Erica

I'm glad they're being enjoyed.

And yes, its the Mini Cooper (my car). Do you know I've never seen another one exactly like it? Its British racing green, rag top is black, and it has the racing stripes in the back as well as the front... and fog lamps. Glen, I would love to have a MG!

John described the Skyline Drive well. It cuts through Shenandoah National Park. We've camped there a couple of times before, but not this time, after the GIANT mosquito experience earlier in the summer at Assateague National Seashore, I'd had quite enough of roughing it for a while. Its truly a beautiful drive.

Beautiful drops? Sorry, not for me!Don't like heights! That's why I stayed at 4'10". lol

Rose, on the drive down to Arizona I decided to take in about 50 miles of the Skyline drive and post some pictures of it in winter. We turned off at Front Royal and drove to the entrance only to find it closed because of snow. I was not surprised as there were still drifts from the big storm along the interstate so there must have been lots more at higher elevations. We did enjoy about a 30-40 mile drive along the Shenandoah River though and passed by the Luray Caverns. I was last there over 50 years ago when my parents took me for my first look at stalactites and stalagmites in a limestone cave. A truly vivid experience even 50 years later. Maybe it pushed me toward geology

Gorgeous photos, Rose. Thanks for sharing them. I remember taking that drive with my parents when I was a kid ... it was breathtaking.

Love it! The vacation that I needed..will buy be a couple more months!

I've not been on the forum for a few days (long story) was checking the "today's posts" and found this was an active thread again. Coincidentally, we've just made reservations for a short get away later this month. We're going back to Luray, VA. Instead of camping, we've rented a cabin. Here is part of the description

Cozy split oak log cabin overlooking idyllic private pond with
spectacular views of the Blue Ridge Mountains. Quiet get-away
surrounded by stately oak trees at the base of Massanutten Mountain.
Within “a stone’s throw” of the incomparable Shenandoah River and
a scenic 30-minute drive to
Shenandoah National Park and minutes to Luray Caverns

I can hardly wait! There is the actual cabin, then further below on the shore of the pond, a screened in gazebo. What with all of the snow, I don't know how well I could make it down the footpath to the gazebo, but just the cabin with the view will be enough.

Here are some of the photos from the website, (obviously taken during a warmer season!) I'll post some of my own when we get back.

Attachments

• pond1.jpg
    pond1.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 157
  • pond2.jpg
    pond2.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 178
  • pond3.jpg
    pond3.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 185
  • pond4.jpg
    pond4.jpg