Diagnosis
08/2011
Country
US
State
Missouri
City
Springfield
Welcome to PZ's Tuesday Night Wine Bibbing Corner!

(Why Tuesday night? The wife has a business meeting on Tuesday nights!)

I confess that up until now, my wine bibbing has been restricted mostly to snitching altar wine as an altar boy in the 8th grade.

Recently, however, it has been brought to my attention that wine (in moderation) is good for the belly; particularly red wine.

Tonight, a red wine is the topic of my discussion with you. On the way home, I stopped at one of Springfield's finer wine stores, The Brown Derby, and selected their brand name merlot, "2006 Rave Merlot Paso Robles".

First, on a comment on the color; it is not red its purple, like a dark grape.

Secondly, the lady at the fine wine store (I think Boones Farm was available, too) did not pronounce the "T" in merlot. I'll have to write the store manager...

Lastly, it set me back $8.

This beverage tastes pretty good, especially after your tastebuds have been sufficiently numbed after drinking half the bottle. I am enjoying my bottle with a dish of sharp cheddar, green olives and crackers.

I give this bevy 3 thumbs up (which is how many i'm seeing now).

Let me guess, your suppose to drink this stuff differently than you'd slurp down a coke, right?

PZ

Your comments on similar experiences invited...

Last edited:
Check out Jim-a-snacks, as they go well with wine (or beer):

Layer in this order-
Rosemary Triscuits
Ground Mustard
Sharp Cheddar or Colby
Pepperoni slices

Great when watching football!

Recently discovered Flipsides crackers! Pretzel on one side and cracker on the other. Those would be good too!

PZ ... yes, when drinking Coke, you have to take it slow, as the bubbles need time to settle. With red/purple booze, er, wine, it's giddyup!

Beth, thank you! It makes so much sense! I thought I was drinking it correctly.

CJ, I'll try the recipe next Tuesday! Thank you!

The bottle says it has 12.5% alchohol by content.

I'm just looking for something to numb the twitches & cramps and I think I found it!

I'll have to manage a way to pick myself up off the floor before Mrs. PZ gets home.

I have pasted a link to an unbelievable toddler playing air guitar and lip sinking incredibly well for your entertainment!

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid1610699488?bctid=31812464001
Pz

Last edited:
Well PZ , that was a funny video.

Do you drink the red (poiple) wine at room temp or slightly chilled ?

Glen

Glen, It started out slightly chilled but quickly got to room temperature. I got through about 1/3 of the bottle, started to cop a buzz and put it in the fridge.

I thought that video was a hoot! A kid like that in the house could put me in laughing hysterics for a long time.

Okeedokee,

Another nice, quiet Tuesday evening with a new, fine (ahem...) bottle of wine. I'm new at this wine bibbing thing and just want to share this adventure with you.

This bottle tastes like old shoe laces. I purchased it at a convenience store and I'm sure it was in the slot where Boone's Farm Strawberry use to be kept.

This is a bottle of: SUTTER HOME Family Vineyards California 2008 WHITE ZINFANDEL The Original.

Zaphoon

drats PZ, i should have joined in...i just split a yuengling lager light with my hubby last night....maybe next week.....

PZ, some good advice far as developing your bibbing skills, is to avoid anything that says it is a white zin.... red zins are often quite good though. The bottle probably won't say red, just zinfandel, you'll just be able to tell by looking at the bottle that its not white, which of course is in actuality pink.

Okay, this stuff was pink but the bottle said white so, white is pink? Let me rephrase that.

In wine, white wine can be either white or pink.

Red wine, then, is not pink but more of a grape color?

I'm trying to hone my skills with this stuff and appreciate all of my tutors!

PZ

PZ you are bringing back memories. I am not much of a wine drinker but hubby and I use to buy a bottle of Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill when we were dating. It sold for $1.50 back then. We were fancy and drank from plastic cups. Good times!

Now it is hugely expensive at $3.49 for 750ml. I don't recommend it unless you are short on cash :-D

PZ, waaaaayyyy back when I received training in wines as an international flight attendant ~aka sky goddess ~ I was told that the shape of the bottles says much about what is inside. Sloping neck bottles are milder, and strong shouldered ones (with a neck defined body of bottle) are bolder. So, for reds, the pinot noirs and shirazes are less intense than merlots and cabernets. Same goes for whites. Another trick in knowing if the wine is good, (usually works, but is not without exceptions) is the deeper the dimple (the concave bottom of bottle), the better the wine. I know, I know, there are some good wines out there with flat bottoms, but, still, I've handled a lot of bottles over the years, poured a lot more wines than I've had the opportunity to taste (pesky FAA ) (LOL) and the popular ones with my passengers on the planes, the majority of the time had the deeper dimpled bottom. Without even consciously noticing I'm doing it, that's the first thing I check out when I pick up a bottle of wine, my finger slides under it to feel the shape of the bottom.

I'd check out either California or Australian wines, as both are affordable. Also wines from the pacific northwest US.

Down in the thread I started on wines, there are several suggestions for reds. I don't remember if anyone had whites to recommend or not. I'm pretty much a red wine girl, so I can't give you much personal input for them. I think that Pinot Grigio is a nice type of white wine. ... I do like the spumante wines, which are white... and yes, white zin is pink. and zin is red, but it doesn't say red on the label, just "zinfandel" .

Rose, Thank you for the education! I am finding out that you have to pay more than $4 for some good stuff.

PZ

Rosella, I agree with you on that one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back