Diagnosis
7/2008
Country
US
State
Maryland
City
Anytown
For quite a few years I was a city dweller, and lived directly across from a small independent wine shop - well actually it was a locksmith that was directly across, I guess the wine store was more diagonal - but I digress... The owner/manager of the wine shop was really good about steering me to wines with great taste, some little known, some amazingly affordable.

Well, those days are gone, I now live in the burbs, and am just tickled pink if I find a wine I used to be able to get. Wines such as Klinker Brick red Zinfandel, or Castle Rock pinot noir. And, Maryland is weird with their alcohol sales laws. There are a gazillion beer/wine stores, but hardly any liquor shops, ... don't know why that is, but thought I'd share.

So, I guess I could google "wines", but I thought it would be more fun we could share what we've found that we like, and with our reduced standards of living (thank you ALS!) can afford to actually drink rather than admire in the wine rack.

I'll go first 8) We just tried Two Vines Mewrlot-Cabernet 2005 (Columbia-Crest) 1.5 liter was $17, and it is very drinkable IMHO...

:wink:columbia-crest makes some pretty good wines.....i think i may just go open a bottle of something, a glass of red sounds pretty good tonight:wink:

i will let you know.....

My wife Beth likes Columbia Crest Riesling, I wish I could too. Maybe I'll steal some for my peg! :smile::smile:

i used to enjoy a good wine but its hard using a straw.

This thread is right up my alley....love Josh.. or Carr...merlot or cab. They are both napa wines. This is the top end of my budget..16.00 a bottle. I love a pinot noir called HOB Nob..it is about 8.00 a bottle. Concannon is another good cab..reasonalbly priced. I could go on..... My dear neighbor just brought me over a case of yummy wine (for therepeutic reasons only)..I will report as I drink.
Rose..we lived in the Burgh for 7 years....GO STEELERS..have our flag flying as I write.
Have a great night. Darn..you just got me in the mood for a glass of wine!

cukita, they told me no straws.... shows how we get different advise.

Barry, yes, I think you should try it, Beth is sure to share. Don told me once I have the PEG I could downgrade to Boone's Farm LOL.

I am trying so hard to gain a couple pounds back before next clinic visit, and wine seems as good a route as any (other than my new love, molten chocolate lava cake)

Jen, yes, I honestly am looking for what to buy :wink:

If you like reds, try Toasted Head cab, it's priced around $12 and tastes great.

ok, so it took me thirty minutes but after two different types of cork screws, a slip resistant rubber grip thing, and almost asking my 14 yr old for help (hubby is away on business)...i opened a tin roof cellars merlot...yummy with some 2 yr old sharp cheddar and crackers...don't tell anyone i was using the knives again :p

We used to make our own wine. We did have over 500 bottles. I loved a Merlot and Christine liked a Cabernet.

Wine Rack June 25th 2004 003.jpg

04 05-10 Wine  P006.jpg

05 09-11 Finished  P007.jpg

I just tried a red wine that I really loved. It's called "Il Brecciarolo Rosso Piceno Superiore" 2002, Italy. It's a blend of Montepulciano and Sangiovese from Le Marche. I paid $15 for it.

Joel, I am impressd. My dad used to make wine every year. Last year, 2008, was his last batch. I have a bottle of it that I am saving. My dad loved making wine and being a real perfectionist, he was great at it.

joel, very impressive....

good lord Joel, look at all of those hangovers ... OMG

Joel, that is really something but we all know that you are never the one to do things half way. Were these from kits or did you grow the grapes too? :razz::razz:

I like Tin Roof too!

From my recent experience with wino-ism, I can tell you that, imho, Vina Maipo (Chardonnay) Central Valley/2008 will make your taste buds go into full retreat!

I could be mean and suggest to Rose that it is the best, most flavorful and inexpensive bevy (the bottle was given to me unopened - no wonders) to be had! Try it! You'll like it!

I did finish off the 1.5 litre 13% alc by vol bottle of the stuff. All I have to say is, if this is the best Chile has to offer, I'll go with Boone's Farm Strawberry and flash back to 10th grade days. This stuff reminds me of the communion wine we altar boys use to sip, slurp and gurgle while the priest wasn't looking.

PZ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back