07/2018
Country
UK
State
England
City
Newton Aycliffe
Hello
I am new to this forum. My husband has just been diagnosed in July this year. He has been steadily getting worse with his walking. After one of his scans they found he had had gall stones. So he had to have have his gallbladder out in Dec, as it was calcified. He still feels nausea every day. It it normal for MND?l

Welcome to forum- I am so sorry you find yourself here. You will find this an excellent source of support and resource for information.

I have created a new thread for your question, as it bears its own conversation.

Nausea is not part of ALS, especially early when his main impairment is difficulty walking, and he is not dealing with a feeding tube.

Nausea after gallbladder removal can sometimes be from retained stones in the common bile duct. In any event, get it checked out by a gastroenterologist or by the surgeon. If he should need further intervention for it, now is the time, while he’s still relatively early into ALS.

Sorry to have to welcome you here.

Thanks for reply. I will get a doctors app.made.

Re: A question about a new diagnosis

My husband is finding it hard to eat anything. Says his tastebuds are gone. Also very nauseous all day especially when walking.

Re: Update to First Post

My husband attended his first clinic.His breathing was below average. His next one is at the end of October. His breathing and swallowing is getting worse. He has done his end-of-life wishes. No ventilation no tube. It is so hard to watch a loved one suffer in pain that I agreed to it. :(

Sorry to welcome you and your husband here. This is so much to deal with. Read and ask a lot here, come for support and company. We get you, we don't expect anything, we will be there. This forum saved my sanity and I hope you find a virtual home here with a great bunch of folks.

J, did your husband get checked by the gallbladder surgeon or a gastroenterologist as Karen suggested? As she said, there could be residual stones affecting the nausea.

Very sorry to hear about his rapid progress. We'll be here whenever you need help.

Best,
Laurie

Yes. He was checked and nothing. MND nurse said its his muscles going into spasm that is causing the pain. His breathing is getting worse so I am getting a nebuliser for him. Also he is on CBD oil for pain.

Re: Update to First Post

Any ideas on how to get phlegm out.when cough is very weak? My husband is not eating much cause it irritates his gullet.

There is something called cough assist your doctor can order, also suction. If he needs to loosen or lessen phlegm there are things to try.

Do I remember he has refused a feeding tube? If so he needs to be exceedingly careful as aspiration is a major danger. Look at consistency and talk to a speech therapist about what will be best. Blended food and thickening agents are likely needed

Welcome to the forum.

JJ, the search link up near top right can be your friend.

We have discussed many ways to thin phlegm, from soda to warm liquids to pineapple juice to Alka-Seltzer. And thickening liquids and smoothening food is another frequent topic. Think about pudding, eggs, cornstarch, rice flour, potato flour/flakes, nut butters, ice cream, applesauce, etc.

For some people, if they can do it, spitting up liquid periodically into a paper towel helps keep it from accumulating, however thin or thick. Also look at the heat/humidity of the room, clean filters, etc. to try to influence the coughing.

Thank you. I will try pineapple juice and soda. His cough is very weak so he cannot cough up phlegm.

I am sorry to have to welcome you here, but welcome nonetheless.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back