Old 08-08-2018, 07:55 PM #1 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)

City: Raynham
State: MA
Diagnosed: 07/2018
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
bostongrl is on a distinguished road
New Member (Say Hi)
Default Newly diagnosed

Hello everyone,

After having received a diagnosis of PLS 7 months ago, my doctor changed the diagnosis to ALS 2 weeks ago based on lower motor neuron symptoms. I've been on riluzole for 3 months, and just signed the paperwork to start radicava. My mind is definitely spinning at the moment, so I wanted to reach out and connect a bit. I'm not really sure what to ask. I have a million thoughts and questions that all seem coherent and cogent until I start to type them...
Old 08-08-2018, 08:06 PM #2 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

City: Seattle
State: WA
Diagnosed: 09/2009
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
lgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

City: Seattle
State: WA
Diagnosed: 09/2009
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
lgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newly diagnosed

Hi, Boston, welcome. Give yourself time to process, and no doubt cogent questions will formulate themselves.

Best,
Laurie
Old 08-08-2018, 08:07 PM #3 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

City: Boston
Diagnosed: 04/2014
Nikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

Nikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond repute

I am sorry you have to join us but welcome.

Ask when you are ready but in the meantime browse here and start nibbling at the stickies AKA important posts in the general section. There is a lot of information here and people are happy to help

We are practically neighbors! I go to MGH and see Dr Cudkowicz. We are lucky to have great clinics and doctors here. I hope you also got a second opinion?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nikki J For This Useful Post:
Jrzygrl (08-09-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 08:10 PM #4 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: The Beach
State: South
Diagnosed: 08/2015
KimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member

City: The Beach
State: South
Diagnosed: 08/2015
KimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond repute

Ask any question. Someone is always here to help.

One of our moderators (Greg) who also has ALS put together a wonderful handout. I'm attaching it. It has a lot of information.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ALSInfo12.pdf (346.7 KB, 132 views)
Thanks from
bostongrl (08-08-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 08:19 PM #5 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)

New Member (Say Hi)

Thank you all for the quick responses. Nikki, I go to MGH as well. I see Dr. Berry there. He was my second opinion. I'd gone to Brigham and Women's first. I'm super grateful to be living in a place with such wonderful facilities and doctors. It's all just a bit overwhelming. After the diagnostic process, everything seems to be happening very fast. I'd never even heard of radicava, so I'm trying to learn more about it and about people's experiences with it. I'm in a holding pattern at the moment while I await insurance approval, so I have some time to learn as much as I can.

Best,
Michelle
Old 08-08-2018, 08:35 PM #6 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

Oh I love Dr Berry too. He is so kind and brilliant . You will love everyone at MGH I think.

We have several radicava threads. Because it was new last year there were lots of insurance questions that go on one thread and there are two about experiences with it. Also a Canadian thread. One is in the PALS section the rest are in general. Do a search

Let ne know if you have any mgh specific issues

Last edited by Nikki J : 08-09-2018 at 12:31 PM
Old 08-08-2018, 09:01 PM #7 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)

New Member (Say Hi)

Nikki, Dr. Berry is fantastic. He's incredibly kind. I do like MGH a lot. Everyone has been wonderful there. Thank you for the info on the radicava threads; I'm going to spend some time reading through them.

Best,
Michelle
Old 08-09-2018, 12:28 PM #8 (permalink)

City: Grafton
Diagnosed: 03/2017
Kristina1 is a jewel in the roughKristina1 is a jewel in the roughKristina1 is a jewel in the roughKristina1 is a jewel in the rough
City: Grafton
Diagnosed: 03/2017
Kristina1 is a jewel in the roughKristina1 is a jewel in the roughKristina1 is a jewel in the roughKristina1 is a jewel in the rough

Welcome! I went to MGH for my 2nd opinion but go to the UMass ALS Clinic. We have a good number of MA people here.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:26 PM #9 (permalink)

City: Vail
State: Colorado
Diagnosed: 07/2014
Interest: I have been diagnosed with another Motor Neuron Disease.
swalker is a splendid one to beholdswalker is a splendid one to beholdswalker is a splendid one to beholdswalker is a splendid one to beholdswalker is a splendid one to beholdswalker is a splendid one to beholdswalker is a splendid one to beholdswalker is a splendid one to behold
City: Vail
State: Colorado
Diagnosed: 07/2014
Interest: I have been diagnosed with another Motor Neuron Disease.
swalker is a splendid one to beholdswalker is a splendid one to beholdswalker is a splendid one to beholdswalker is a splendid one to beholdswalker is a splendid one to beholdswalker is a splendid one to beholdswalker is a splendid one to beholdswalker is a splendid one to behold

Sorry to have to welcome you here, but welcome nonetheless.

Steve
Closed Thread

Tags
als, diagnose, diagnosed, diagnosis, motor neuron symptoms, newly diagnosed, pls, questions, radicava, riluzole, symptoms, wanted