Anyone have tips for relief from twitching?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cherise77

Reason
Loved one DX
Diagnosis
07/2018
Country
CA
State
BC
City
Vancouver
Hi all. My Dad is really being bothered by all the fasciculations he’s experiencing. Especially when trying to relax and at night.
He gets them in every limb and his stomach. The neurologist confirmed that they don’t mean that the disease is progressing quicker so he’s not feeling concerned anymore but just uncomfortable.
Any advice or tips from other PALS is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I don’t think it changed my twitching but Magnesium not onlt hrlps cramps but helps me relax and sleep so maybe notice less

A subset of people twitch less after starting riluzole. I did but it seems to be random who gets thatbenefit

Mine are much worse at night because I'm moving around a lot during the day, I suspect.

Things that seem to help are magnesium (both oral and oil), CBD, THC and Valium (I know the breathing risks from benzos but Valium helps a lot with my cramps and relaxing.)

CBD oil did it for us. The effect was almost immediate.

I gave my PALS a few drops under tongue and then a few moments later she gave a big sigh of relief.

Sometimes I have to do the drops more than once and I also give her Tylenol but the key ingredient seems to be the CBD.

Last edited:
Ditto what Kim posted minus Valium for me.
Also tumeric 500 mg day
Finally plateaued some. Rough few wks

I find a product named Calm works very well and that is magnesium.
Al

My bad o the tumeric I take 30 mg

Calm also

I also take tumeric and I know it's good for inflammation but never connected it to twitches.

Massage just before bed works but that's pretty impossible for me these days.

My neurologist prescribed a muscle relaxer. As with anything consumed be aware of side effects. "Natural" things can be dangerous when combined with each other and/or presp. meds. B.

I would try magnesium but also take something mild for sleep. My doctor had me start Trazodone initially and it did help. Now I use cbd/thc instead though, which may be an option depending where you live.

CannTrust 1:1 drops. 12.5% CBD/THC. 0.6 mg in the morning relieves cramps, twitching and the like. 0.9 in the evening all the day stuff, and is an awesome sleep aid. The lower dose during the day allows me function without impairment. Being Canadian you just need to be seen at a cannabinoid clinic, your pcp will refer you. I don't take baclofen or pain meds since starting on the cannabis.
Vincent

I used to take magnesium before my diagnosis for cramps but it did nothing for the twitches! Mine too were constant whenever not active and all over. I started taking mexilletine for cramps and quit the magnesium. it It is working well for those and I’m hardly having any twitching either! Maybe your dad could ask his doctor about giving it a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back