Diagnosis
07/2018
Country
CA
State
BC
City
Vancouver
My Dad is newly diagnosed at 59 years old. He’s always been in great shape, on a hockey team, long distance bike rider, and golfer. When his hand weakness started a year ago he slowly began to lose strength in hand and then some muscle atrophy in same arm along with twitching.
My question is in the last month my Dad has been measuring his hand strength and lifting light weights and his strength in hand has been coming back as well as he was unable to even lift light 8-10lbs weights a month ago and now does light weight reps each morning and evening. Is this common? Did other PALS notice some improvement initially? I can’t find anything online that states this is normal with ALS. We have his first meeting with the ALS clinic next week so we’ll ask them then just wanted to reach out to the forum and see if anyone has some insight.
Thanks for your time. I appreciate everyone’s advice and support.

Plateaus and reversals are documented to happen. Did he do any weight work before? Training of as yet unaffected muscles could improve overall performance

Does he take anything? Although unusual a few people get a temporary improvement after starting riluzole I was one

No,he hasn’t started Riluzole yet. I believe next week he will.
He has always done some light weight training. I think that’s how he noticed when he wasn’t as strong in his one affected arm.
He’a gaining strength back in his affected arm. Is that something that can happen at this stage?

My husband had some improvement in his legs from swiming in the first part of the year he was diagnosed. Uncommon but it happens.

If he had a strong upswing in strength I would talk to the Doctor ASAP. Misdiagnosis is uncommon these days but that happens too.

Cherise, I had extreme difficulty eating, drinking and talking, hence my feeding tube that I have now. Now the tube is only used for taking meds and supplements. I eat all my meals normally and drink all liquids and I think this may be because I refuse to change, no medical reasons, just what I feel. It takes about an hour to eat supper but so be it, I don't feel that my speak has improved any but if I am sitting up or standing my wife can understand most of what I say. I don't feel I have any improvement otherwise but I have very slow, if any progression.
ALS is a pain in the ass but not much we can do about it so carry on and live and enjoy life, it is the hand we were delt so play it to the best of your ability.
Al

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back