Reason
Loved one DX
Country
UK
State
Torfaen
City
Cwmbran
After posting back in november about being concerned for my father having als. Today it has been confirmed. Everyone is in total shock. I just feel helpless. His mucus is terrible, hes got a patch to help him, im trying to make a joke and stay positive but i know this is gonna be difficult. Is there anything i can do to help him? Anything you find that helps your mucus? My dad is my world. If i can do anything to make him happier i will. Thank you.

I am terribly sorry to welcome you to the main forum. I moved your thread because unfortunately you no longer belong in Do I have ALS.

There are a lot of threads about oral secretions- both drooling and mucus- so do browse around. A lot of people seem to find relief from mucus ( as opposed to drooling )with juices such as papaya or pineapple

I am sure you will give your dad many joyful moments. He is very lucky to have you

Please don’t hesitate to ask anything

Last edited:
Very sorry for your dad and you changing forums. So welcome, damn it!

It will be difficult but jokes are never out of place. They are very plentiful today in the forum as Karen had a clown for breakfast.

Come here often, for advice, for understanding and for company who gets you.

If you feel helpless and frustrated sometime, know that just being there for your dad will mean the world to him.

I'm sorry about your dad. Try to help fill his life with things that are meaningful to him. If he wants, let friends and family make visits, take him out, or anything he needs. Keep your circle of friends and family large because he will need help and friendship throughout his illness.

Very sorry to hear about your dad. Give him and yourself time to process. You don't have to stay positive, just don't get caught up in a negative slipstream.

Clean, humidified air both through any breathing machine and the home air system will help (change filters, etc.), getting enough liquids is important, some people are helped by any or all of the following: warm or hot liquids, lemonade, avoiding dairy, whatever used to be soothing when he had a cold.

If he has a patch, I am thinking you may mean drooling; as Nikki says, that is different but some of the above strategies may help, and there are multiple drugs to try (one at a time, though, not with the patch).

Best,
Laurie

I’m sorry you and your dad find yourselves back here with an official diagnosis. It is confusing and overwhelming. The forum provides a wealth of information to help you. Come here to ask questions, vent, rant, or just to cry on virtual shoulders. We’ll try to support you as best we can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back