Diagnosis
10/2017
Country
US
State
GA
City
Roswell
I was so overwhelmed at my first clinic yesterday, that I forgot about asking the neuro about some numbers that he kept giving to the resident, as the neuro was examining me. If anyone can clarify or explain this, I would be very appreciative. I won't be seeing the neuro for a few weeks or I would just wait and ask him, but it's "bugging" me. So thanks in advance, if anyone knows what I'm trying to find out about.

As the neuro would have me push or pull, or he would tap or examine some part of me, he would say things like "she's a 2 on that." Or that's a 4. Etc.

?

Again, thanks for any info. This forum is helping me get through all of this, more than I can say.

When the doc asks you to activate a muscle, she’s testing the motor nerve that serves it.

On a 6 point scale from 0 to 5:
0 -- No muscle contraction is detected
1 -- A trace contraction is noted in the muscle by palpating the muscle while the patient attempts to contract it.
2 -- The patient is able to actively move the muscle when gravity is eliminated.
3 -- The patient may move the muscle against gravity but not against resistance from the examiner.
4 -- The patient may move the muscle group against some resistance from the examiner.
5 -- The patient moves the muscle group and overcomes the resistance of the examiner. This is normal

I appreciate your reply so much. I've read many of your posts and I value the straightforward and no nonsense information. Again, thank you. I now understand much more of the examination at clinic last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back