Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
Texas
City
North Richland Hills
Hi again , my husband Jim has a feeding peg , he is considering a Mickey . Is it a big deal to change them out.? The tape for the dangler is irritating his skin .We have changed tape brands , nothing has helped his skin.He had the tube put in about 3 months ago.Thank you , Dee

No it's not a big deal.

But I had the same issue with tape until my pcp sent me Mepitac tape. Google it, it's on Amazon too.

Thank you Greg .I'm going to check out Amazon. Dee

No it's not a big deal.

But I had the same issue with tape until my pcp sent me Mepitac tape. Google it, it's on Amazon too.
Thanks for the info on Mepitac. Wife is very sensitive to adhesives and will be getting her feeding tube mid-February. I assume the tape is needed for tube. What is a Mickey and is this part of the progression?

I have had severe adhesive allergies since I was an infant. The only tape I have ever found that I don't react to is Nexcare Low Trauma Tape For Sensitive Skin (amazon has it). I use that for my g-tube. However on the g-tube FB group I am on some people use a lanyard and attach it to the tube clamp in a way that lightly suspends the coiled tube a few inches above the stoma with no tape needed. This method doesn't work for me because I am so short (there aren't enough inches between my stoma and chest to find a necklace/lanyard that would do it). But for the average adult male it should work pretty easily.

My husband has the Mickey and it was not a big deal changing to the Mickey from the dangler. It was done in the doctor's office with no need for any type of anesthesia. It only took a few minutes and my husband said it wasn't bad at all.

We much prefer the Mickey and it would eliminate your problem with the tape.

Sharon

The gastro who put in my husband's G Tube (he does most of the ALS patients at Duke) would not put in anything but the G Tube, because they found that other things (I asked specifically about the Mikey) fall out more easily. Im sure there are people who have had great luck with it, so this is just food for thought.

My guy does not walk, so we just wrap his into a loose knot and let it rest on top of the split 4x4 pads. My only problem was training him to not rest his hands on top of it at night.

Becky

I use a 6" by 5 yds elastic bandage with velcro on both ends to secure my dangler. Since the bandage is elastic, it doesn't constrict my movements, but it holds everything in place without tape or clips, both of which I tried before switching to the bandage. The 5 yds length is the stretched length.

Change out to Mickey was quick , painful for a moment,but well worth it for me. No more tape or dangling tube to catch on things

Thank you all for responding. I'm so glad I found this site.So sorry y'all are having to go through this nightmare too . Dee

The gastro who put in my husband's G Tube ... would not put in anything but the G Tube, ... (I asked specifically about the Mikey)

Just to clear up terminology for future readers, the term G-tube covers all feeding tubes that pierce and empty into the stomach (the G is for gastronomy, ie stomach) .

This includes 'danglers', which are commonly the first tubes placed, as well as the various low profile tubes such as the Mic-Key and button tubes.

I'm pretty sure that Beckey meant 'dangler' as the danglers often have solid internal bumpers, which make accidental removal much less likely.

I use a 6" by 5 yds elastic bandage

5 yards?! 15 feet!

Does this wrap around a couple times!?

Or is it much shorter when not stretched?

It is much shorter out of the package. I would estimate not more than 48 inches.

The Bard button has a bumper rather than balloon too so there are lots of choices.

Jim went to the VA and had the mic-key put in.It was a little strange for the first feeding , now he can do it himself.No more tape !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back