Diagnosis
05/2017
Country
US
State
VA
City
S
This is my first post. My husband was diagnosed in May and although they haven't actually said it, I am sure his cognitive problems are FTD. His is language based too. He had to stop work immediately after diagnosis because of the cognitive problems. He was an attorney, so words where his gift. He also wrote hymns, so he also was a poet. It is so hard to lose the ability to communicate. I so appreciate all the posts on this thread about FTD and language! Of all the CALS I have met in real life, I have only met one who had experienced this. It was such a blessing to speak to someone who understood!!!

Even though my husband is struggling with words, he can still play Sudoku. My daughter and son-in-law gave him an iPad for Christmas. They set it up very simply, with no password and just a few games. He can play Sudoku and jigsaw puzzles and he loves it. My daughter said she would look for more games - ones at a simple level.

Welcome, MV. I wanted you to have your own thread so we could get to know you, so I moved your post. Very sorry to hear about your husband, but so glad to hear that you have such a caring daughter and son-in-law.

Best,
Laurie

Welcome. My husband also has FTD. It really is a double whammy! You’re not alone. Everyone here is so helpful and knowledgeable!

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll tell you a little about us. We are both 59 and met while on active duty in the Air Force. My husband retired after 21 years of active duty. I got off active duty after 5 1/2 years to be a stay-at-home mom but completed 15 1/2 in the reserves before retiring. We have two adult daughters. One is married and a teacher. The other is taking a gap year between undergrad and graduate school and living at home. She had planned this, but it is so wonderful to have her home for this year dealing with all the changes. Just having another person to talk to and binge watch Netflix shows with is a blessing.

We noticed my husband's symptoms, fasciculations and arm weakness, last December. I googled it and scared myself to death. I distinctly remember telling my best friend the day after Christmas that I thought he had ALS. Somehow I just knew. The first neuro appointment was on January 12, and after a 15 minute exam the very young doc said, "I'm concerned you have ALS." And everything changed. It took until May before the EMG showed it was ALS, but even though I would be hopeful when alternate diagnoses were mentioned, I knew. Looking back I can see there were changes in the summer of 2016. That fall my husband said he was having trouble remembering words and names, and I told him everyone in our age group was experiencing that. I didn't realize his was different until about March. By the time the diagnosis was confirmed it was very clear he was having cognitive problems. He stopped work on June 19th, stopped driving in July.

The physical changes are pretty much confined to his upper body at this point. He can't raise his arms, comb his hair, put on shirts or button tighter pants buttons. Today I discovered I will have to start brushing his teeth for him too. He has trouble holding his head up and has a brace for when he needs it. He hates it. He is fatigued and sleeps 10-12 hours a night. He has trouble chewing, but it seems more a brain thing than a mechanical thing. It's like his brain isn't telling him to stop chewing and swallow. He is a talented pianist and he can still play the piano, Praise the Lord! It makes me so happy to hear him play.

Since he's a veteran we are blessed with VA benefits. Renovations to our house curtesy of the VA should start in January. It has been a paperwork nightmare, but we are finally there and I am thankful.

I have met wonderful CALS at the ALS CALS support group meetings. I haven't missed one since June. The are all so supportive and caring. There are many whose PALS have passed, but they still come to help those of us on the journey. I am so grateful to them and all of the CALS here. I have supportive friends and a supportive church family, but it is special to be able to talk to CALS on here and at support group who GET IT!!

I struggle with balancing the planning ahead (I am a administrator and planner by nature) with the living each day and being in the day with my husband.

Blessings,
Mary

The iPad is a wonderful gift. I play games on mine, too. There are some very simple word games with different level of challenges. Even some of the kid's games are fun. I play Word Connect and Scrabble.

The other thing I did was organized my music on the iPad and I can listen with wireless headphones or just mirror it onto my Apple TV so the sound is great and no need for headphones.

Mary,
We must have been posting at the same time. You and your husband are in my prayers.

Kim,
Thanks!
Mary

So sorry to hear about your husband's dx. Having the VA in his corner as well as yours is a great help.

My husband had FTD. It definitely adds an extra layer to a already heartbreaking dx.

I am glad you found this forum. It is a great place for support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back