Diagnosis
08/2017
Country
us
State
fl
City
brandon
I have been having problems for over a year. This my 5th diagnosis. It started with bad ankles/knees . Then it went to MS, CIDP, Chari/syrinx and finally ALS. i was diagnosed on 8/23/17. On 9/1 i attended the ALS clinic at the univ of south florida. everything is a blur. i am a married man in my 50s. I have lost my independence. Hopefully it will get better when i get my motorized wheelchair & van. i can't work and have to much time to brood.

Very sorry to hear your news, Sealby. Brooding is not a fun way to spend time. Are there things besides or as part of your work that you like, that you can do, teach, advise or watch in some form?

Best,
Laurie

thanks for your comment

Hi sorry to have to welcome you and sorry I missed your original post!

You will see ( or perhaps have already seen) that some of our members have done remarkable things using mobility aids. I hope you get yours soon so you can too.

Look forward to get to know you

Hello Sealby, so sorry to meet you hear, but nothing either of us can do about that. I found that after the initial shock wore off and thinks sort of settled in place life was not too bad. My wife and I still travel a lot but she does the driving now. I also found that I enjoy playing online poker, it helps to pass the time.
Brooding is not good so anything you can find to help pass the time is good. I am sure that if you look you will find something to interest yourself. Good luck Sealby and hope to see at this forum often, it is full of folks that want to get to know better.
Al

Sealby, Not being a doctor I am in no position to address the why's Regarding the delay in your diagnoses. All I can say is that I'm sorry About how far your condition developed before a diagnosis of ALS. It seems that your mobility issues should have been addressed some time ago. It is certainly fine for you to have concerns, but I do believe that brooding, or depression Can seriously hasten additional symptoms. Find yourself a support group, accountability partner, or just baby someone in your area with ALS with which you can share and try to unburden yourself, Believe me you will begin to feel better at least emotionally and spiritually. Certainly get to a P/T ASAP to begin obtaining mobility equipment. Maintaining a level of independence goes a long way towards lifting the spirits.

Good luck and God bless,

Tom

Sealby,

I am so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I received mine on August 29th and feel broody as well. I thought I was prepared but thinking you have ALS and having it confirmed are two VERY different things. I have every possible emotion happening at the same time, disbelief, anger, sadness, loss...and it is overwhelming. I am trying to find a purpose or a direction but so far I am floundering. Good luck and hopefully we can find our way to a better place emotionally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back