08/2017
Country
US
State
GA
City
Atlanta
Hello,

I am new to this forum. My husband just received the diagnosis of motor neuron disease. His presentation is closer to PLS. However, the generic term motor neuron disease seems to imply ALS in what I have read. Is this so?

Welcome. Sorry you are dealing with this

In the US MND is generally an umbrella term, yes. Both PLS and ALS afe among the MNDs. Neurologists here usually give more specific labels but I have seen a diagnosis code of MND, other which I think they use when a patient has an MND that does not fit exactly into any box

Your neurologist certainly owes you an explanation if this is what is happening. Are more tests planned?

In the UK and some other places MND is used for the diagnosis even when it is clearly ALS or PLS but I have been told the doctors usually tell them when explaining which it is.

Good luck and welcome

Welcome! You have found a wonderful place for info and support.

Sorry to meet you here my friend, we all are cheering your husband on and hope for the best,

I am very sorry to have to welcome you here, but as others have said, this is a wonderful resource for dealing with the diagnosis.

Steve

Very sorry to welcome you here, ATL. I hope your husband's progression continues [what I presume is] somewhat slow.

Best,
Laurie

Hi and welcome

Wendy x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back