Diagnosis
01/2017
Country
Uni
State
North Carolina
City
Sanford
Good morning all. My name is Dave Smith and I live in Sanford NC. Been a crane operator for near 30 years. I'm now a stay home Dad. Was diagnosed in January with bulbar. I've accepted what's to happen and living one day at a time. I've survived Alcohol , throat cancer and turning over a p dozer that should of killed me. This is my fourth strike. I have many loved ones from father to Grand kids and that helps tremendously​. I've been preparing situations to assist my wife and are grateful I'm able to continue help others. It's not easy but have to do the next right thing, whatever that is. Love all and be kind I say as our higher power loves us. Y'all be cool now and enjoy what time we have,as I do.

What a beautiful attitude. I am sorry to welcome you here but glad you have joined us. My husband was diagnosed last June, and we are trying to enjoy each day.

Welcome to the club no one wants to join.

Are you a stay home dad with your grandkids? That is a great attitude you have and will make a lot of difference to your quality of life, as well as for all those around you :)

Sorry to hear of your dx eyendesky. Welcome. Feel free to ask questions, rant or whatever you need.

Hi Dave, welcome to the club no one wants to join. But if you have to be here, it's a good place to be. Lots of help and information. Attitude will drag you through tough times.

Vincent

Sorry to welcome you here.
I agree with the others attitude is everything! I was diagnosed with Bulbar 10/15. Are you attending clinic yet? We are hear to help so ask any questions you may have.

Cheers, Jocalyn

Hi, Dave, sorry to welcome you, but glad you have what sounds like strong support and a keen sense for how you want to approach this.

Best,
Laurie

As others have said, sorry to welcome you. Your attitude should help you weather this storm. I studied for many years in Chapel Hill, not too far away, so was happy to see the NCAA basketball outcome...but maybe you're an NC State fan.

Ed

Hi Dave
Lots of nice people here to support you, welcome.
Wendy

Good morning everyone again. Thankyou so very much for the welcoming support. Ive recently return home from working out of town, so I'm not in a clinic yet. Will be going to Duke. I here great things about that place.
I read something's about saving energy and a high calorie diet, that it can extend what time is left. Im able to move around just fine, although weakness has set in. Ive always been a busy person, even today, and was interested in feedback on this topic for today. Signed very new to all this Dave Smith

Great you are going to Duke!

Diet, weight,activity, exercise are all discussed vigorously here and elsewhere. I think most would agree you should not lose weight unless you are morbidly obese. If you are thin maybe you should put on a few pounds as a cushion against weight loss later. Also there was reearch that a bmi close to 31 correlated with longer survival.

A lot of PALS seem to develop hypermetabolism and need a high calorie diet to maintain or achieve a good weight. Try very very hard not to lose.

Don't push yourself too hard. The exercise guideline I was given is that if it takes more than 1 hour to recover 100 percent it was too much.

For general activity? If you don't have to, don't just sit around but don't exhaust yourself either. Really listen to your body and also consider priorities -time with kids and grandkids for example

Hi Dave I live in NC too. I eat what I want with high calories, proteins. I was diagnosed September of last year I lost a lot muscle density but my wait remains the same(big belly). But it is true first thing Doctor tell you don't loose wait. With exercise be careful I learned the hard way doing to much is bad for your muscles. Muscles that are dead don't get stronger anymore. the ones remaining get stronger with modified exercise. Start getting tired stop. This is a excellent site a lot of experts willing to help.

Welcome Dave. Your post is inspiring.

Thank yall for the response. Been trying to adapt to a sedentary life at home but it's extremely difficult. My wife and mom tell me to take it easy all the time and with your help, just maybe I'll listen. LOL. God bless everyone.

Another topic.
CBD oil 3% and up records good results with some, Wondering if this is true and helpful. Dave in NC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back