Diagnosis
03/2017
Country
US
State
MA
City
Amherst
My wife was recently diagnosed but it was suggested we get a second opinion. I like the look of the Leahy ALS Clinic as it won't require trips into Boston. Anyone have any experience?

The other options seem to be Brigham Womens or Mass General.

In need of someone with experience....

John

Guessing your first opinion was UMass?

I go to MGH which is generally the go to place in Boston. People travel from all over to get opinions from there. The doctors are known and respected in the ALS world and they have most of the clinical trials in Massachusetts.

I agree it is difficult to get to but I would pick UMass or MGH for care and the other for my second opinion

Hi I was just diagnosed through U Mass. I've had a good experience there so far. I was planning to go for a 2nd opinion at MGH. I live in Grafton so it's a good hour drive, but I think it will be worth it since they have a reputation for excellence.

I second the recommendation for Mass General. We traveled there from New York to get further care for my PALS. I find that they are very up to date with experimental treatments and with research and I also noticed more of a willingness to try anything that will help.

Good point Manhattanite on the willingness to try/ suggest different things. It is normal to me but now you mention it I have seen people post that their neurologist was not supportive of things like supplements or methylcobalamin and my neuro suggested things for the former and prescribed the latter

Definitely MGH. We drive an hour but it's very worth it. And they do have patients that fly in from around the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back