Diagnosis
08/2016
Country
US
State
ID
City
Deary
My brother in law was diagnosed just this week with ALS. He currently exhibits slurred speech and left hand atrophy. He is so young though, in his late 30s.

Although we as a family have done some research , I feel like the question on our minds is what now? How do we help support him? How fast will it progress (something we're told varies from case to case)? What can we do to help in education, diet, expense wise, etc. ? What are some of the most helpful resources out there?

Thank you.

The first thing you should do is read the "stickies" at the beginning of the Newly Diagnosed Thread. A wealth of information. Next, all of you, mostly your brother-in-law need to take time to process what has just happened. This is hard to accept but you have to get to that level before starting to make good and right decisions.

I'm so sorry you find yourself here but you are welcomed with open arms and we will do everything we can to help.

Vince

Sorry to hear about your brother. Besides reading the "stickies" there are a couple of sites with good information. MDA dot org has a good explanation of ALS as well as a caregivers handbook that you may find helpful. ALSA dot org and ALSWorldwide dot org. It can be overwhelming looking at all this information. Take it in small bites -- you don't need to know everything this week. My husband & I exhausted ourselves during the first 2 weeks after diagnosis. I don't post too much, but there are many wonderful people on this site willing to help you.

-Dianne

Sorry to hear this. Take one day at a time.
Another invaluable resource is your local chapter of the ALS association. They have a wealth of information, support and equipment that they loan to you. They even had ramps in their loaner closet for us.
This saved us a lot of money.

Joan

Thank you. The information in stickies has been very helpful. I appreciate your support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back