Diagnosis
03/2016
Country
Us
State
Oh
City
Cincinnati
Hello everyone. I wanted to officially introduce myself to the forum. I was diagnosed with ALS on March 23, 2016 after a long confusing journey that had lasted about a year and a half. I am 42 years old and live in Cincinnati, Ohio with my wife and two children. While this is not the path I had expected my life would take, I am proud to have found so many amazing people who I now call my friends. Thank you for allowing me to join in the discussions.

Welcome, Leo, to the dubious honor of our club. Pipe up any time.

Best,
Laurie

Welcome Leo and for being brave enough to share your journey with us.

Welcome,
We welcome you and hope this is helpful.
Cheers,

Welcome Leo, so true it's not the path any of us expected in even the wildest moments, yet here we are.

How is you wife coping so far? Do let her know she can get great support here any time she feels the need.

May I ask where your onset is?

We have quite a few members who are also in the early months after diagnosis, so a lot of you will be able to relate to the raw feelings at the same time. We all relate to them of course.

Hello Tillie!

My wife has been amazing. After the initial shock wore off after a couple months, we got to work figuring out the best path of care for me. That's kept us very busy which is a good thing. I always say she lives in the land of "rainbows and lollipops" which is probably her coping mechanism. That's fine by me.
I have limb onset with weakness primarily in my hands. I have general fatigue, reduced endurance and fasciculations throughout my body. Also, some trouble swallowing if I'm not careful when I eat and drink.

Hi Leo
This is such a caring knowledgeable group.

I'm glad you have found us to encourage you on your journey.

Thanks LeoNora. I'm glad you have a good CALS with you.

I know you will find a lot of support here. Sorry you have to join such an elite group.

Welcome Leo. I hope you find this group to be as supportive and helpful as I have.
Wishing you peace on your journey.
Margaret

Welcome to this forum Leo! It's a good support system and I have become educated about ALS and what CALS goes through too.

Hugs,
Deb

Leo, welcome to you!! Our pathways to diagnosis were certainly similar, although I am a few decades older than you. You'll find this forum jam-packed with information and filled with some of the most amazing, caring, and empathetic folks with whom I've ever come in contact. Pull up a big ole' comfy chair as you can, and feel free to share with us at any time. "We're here for you" is not merely a glib statement here, it is true to the core.

I don't see any information on whether or not you're a Veteran. If you are, please contact a Veterans' Service Organization (VSO) to assist you in filing the necessary paperwork with the VA. I used Paralyzed Veterans of America (PVA), and they've been a godsend.

Hope ta see you again soon!!

John

Welcome Leo. You'll find this one of the most caring communities anywhere. The sum total of care, compassion, empathy, information, and love will help you.

Welcome, Leo, to the dubious honor of our club. Pipe up any time.

Best,
Laurie
I too was diagnosed in March of this year. I have found through my local ALS chapter and where my doctors are. ( Wake Forest University Medical Center ) we are family. I have met some amazing people.

Hello Leo, and welcome. If you must qualify for membership, this is a great club to join.

Becky

Leo - welcome, and sorry to hear of your diagnosis.

Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back