06/2016
Country
US
State
CA
City
Santa Rosa
Hello Everyone

I'm newly diagnosed female age 35 as of 6/23/16. I'm a 4th generation, my father is fighting it right now too.

I've been off work since March doing tests. My problem is I started a new job in Feb so I didn't finish probation before I had to take leave. I'm suppose to go back 4 hrs a day next Mon. My supervisor informed me I would have to start probation over again.

I have two questions? Should I bother going back? Should I tell my supervisor my diagnosis?

I would appreciate any feedback because I'm totally stuck.

I guess you could try the 4 hour day, but any LTD/SSDI is based on what you earned in the last 6 months. If you work part time LTD/SSDI pays like part time. Telling your supervisor could shorten your probationary drasticly, best keep this quiet for now. Being off for several months, you'd need a shotgun to get me to go back. Time is short for us, spend it wisely.
Vincent

Thank you for your feedback.

I'm on state disability right now. They will continue to pay me for my other 4 hours for now. Money is the only reason I want to work as long as possible. I'm only 35 so my LTD disability won't be that much. I'm freaking out about money. I've watched both my grandmother and father run out of money and get crappy care. So if I was a millionaire I would just quit.

SSDI is based on the last 35 years you've worked. Go to the government SS site and you will have an estimate. The formula is tricky so I won't try to explain in here.

Be VERY careful about your LTD because it will probably be offset by your SSDI. Also, other factors might be in the fine print. I read all 125 pages of my LTD document and if I had not, I would only be getting $350 a month instead of $1,200 a month right now from LTD. SSDI will kick in five months after you stop working so you should start getting paperwork ready, including all doctor's notes and tests. I was approved in 2 weeks because I read what is on this forum and what was on a Social Security Disability forum. Lots of good tips.

Your first step is finding out how much your SSDI will be so go to the site and create an online account. The amount you get will depend on how much you made during your work history (I'm assuming you have enough quarters to qualify.)

If, for some reason, your total income is low, you might also qualify for medicaid (Medicare will kick in at the same time SSDI does).

I'm sorry your decision was reduced to finances. I had to make some very tough financial decisions and it's best to get that part out of the way.

First of all, sorry to hear about your situation. It truly sucks when you have to worry about money with a devastating disease like this.

Here is my 2 cents about your situation. How much extra $ would staying at the job be worth? How much longer would probation go on for?

Bottom line: if it's much, much more than I might seriously stay. If it's a small amount then I wouldn't bother.

It terms of telling your boss - depends on what you do. If you stay then NO. It might do something to work against you...if you have a cold boss, they could not even let you finish your probation. IF you leave, then yes.

I see it this way: you got a brutal dx and you have to be selfish right now even if it means breaking one of your values. The job world can be brutal, so in some ways, you have to be equally vigilant.

I once called in sick regularly and got doctor's notes just to keep the job for money I needed. It' s not in my nature but I felt I needed to do it
B

PS: if you don't tell your boss, and in line with what I said in my last post, you could just tell your supervisor you were "off for tests" without talking what kind.

I suspect that during probation you can be let go for any or no reason at all.

As you're already tapping into sick time, I would bet that your boss would view you as NOT a long-term employee were he to learn you have ALS.

Honestly, I think in your situation I would not even think of returning to work, money or not.

First, sorry to hear you have familial ALS and I would keep an eye on that subforum as well. Nikki, one of our moderators, is similarly affected. She will ask if you know your mutation, which is a good thing to know.

As for your job, what Greg said is true. I would try to find a job or "on demand" work leveraging your skills that affords you flexibility as I am sure you are helping your dad (how's he doing?) as well as dealing with your own situation. There are many freelance platforms and opportunities out there. If we knew your areas of expertise, we could be more helpful.

As for SSDI, Kim knows more but finding out what you would be eligible for were you to file today, since you have obviously not worked much recently, is critical, because you want to file at the most strategic time.

Best,
Laurie

I'm so sorry you find yourself needing to explore the pros and cons of returning to work.

There is enough going on for you without that worry.

I'm sure you will find the answer in the awesome advice you've been given.

Hello Everyone

I'm newly diagnosed female age 35 as of 6/23/16. I'm a 4th generation, my father is fighting it right now too.

I've been off work since March doing tests. My problem is I started a new job in Feb so I didn't finish probation before I had to take leave. I'm suppose to go back 4 hrs a day next Mon. My supervisor informed me I would have to start probation over again.

I have two questions? Should I bother going back? Should I tell my supervisor my diagnosis?

I would appreciate any feedback because I'm totally stuck.
i was diagnosed in March. after a period of digesting the diagnosis I went back to work. I suggest you defintitley let your boss know your diagnosis and you are fighting to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back