06/2016
Country
US
State
FL
City
Jacksonville
Hello,

My mom was recently diagnosed. Currently my dad is working and has insurance. I am preparing myself for future, where she is unable to do house chores. At this time, I want my parents to move in with me. I live in a different city. My dad will have to quit his job.

Will they be eligible for insurance through affordable care act? How is the coverage? What are the drawbacks?

Also, my colleague said, my mom might be eligible for social security disability coverage. I don't know much about this, what is the process? Wait time?

Thank you all for your help!

Please look at the top of the general discussion subforum for the stickies. There is one on ssdi. Basically if your mom has enough current work credits she will get medicare and ssdi after a 5 month wait period. If she does not have enough credits ( worked in a ss contributing job for 5 of last 10 years no ssdi and no medicare before 65). No early medicare for your dad. Yes they can buy on ACA if not on medicare If your state has expanded medicaid you can look into that though I think it is household income that counts. There are no income requirements for ACA except if you are getting a subsidy. You can't get a subsidy if you make too much or too little. ( because too little you are expected to be on medicaid)

So sorry for the diagnosis

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back