Diagnosis
05/2016
Country
US
State
GA
City
Atlanta
My father was diagnosed yesterday as well. I have so many thoughts going through my head. He's had symptoms for over a year, but nobody wanted to call it what it is. Finally, after a ton of tests, we got the bad news. I have fear, worry, anxiety... I want to prepare for what's coming, but do not want to scare him too much. He's in crazy fear himself. My mother doesn't know what to do yet. The doctors are preparing now with my mother and I've gotten in touch with the local ALS chapter.

I'm lost. This is too early to lose my father.

Hi, J, moved this to a new thread as every new PALS deserves one. I'm sorry to hear about your dad, but you haven't lost him yet, so make the most of what you have. I think you will find that it is not death that hovers, but the loss of his independence. You and your mom can help him maintain that as long as physically possible, by still treating him as your dad/her husband, and finding ways to help him be those things. Your mom, of course, would be welcome here as well, and likewise your dad.

It is a shock that you will all need to process, however much you suspected. Take that time and we'll be here whenever a specific question or concern comes up.

Best,
Laurie

I know exactly how you feel. My father was diagnosed a week ago. I wish I had some inspiring words that could help, but like you I am still very much in shock. Is your father a veteran? If so, you might want to put in VA paperwork. Either way, know that you are not alone in this and there are many people here to help you with this. I am sorry to hear about your Dad. ��

-Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back