Diagnosis
04/2016
Country
US
State
IA
City
Thornburg
My wife and I returned from a visit to Mayo in Rochester, MN last week.

Many issues have been going on for a long time; thinking back, probably for at least a couple of years.
Problems started to get bad enough to make me go start having things checked out about 8 or 9 months ago.
Several doctors and Neurologists later, and after several MRI's and EEG's, blood tests, and an EMG I was able to get an appointment at Mayo.

The first day there, was the Neuro exam, more blood tests, swallow test, blood oxygen test, etc.... Then day 2 another EMG in the morning, by the afternoon I received a diagnosis of "probable ALS".

I have an appointment on Wednesday the 20th in Fargo for a second opinion, with the Neurologist that did my initial EMG.
Though he would not tell me much before, I believe that he has already made up his mind as well..... but, who knows?

The diagnosis didn't come as a really big surprise, although it was certainly a reality check.
For now everything still functions (except for problems with my left foot), so I suppose that there will be another big reality check when something actually quits working.
I think that the not knowing can be as stressful as an actual diagnosis... in fact, the morning after receiving the diagnosis my wife asked me how I was feeling.
I thought about it for just a minute and said, "Relieved".
She kind of laughed and said that she thought the same thing but was afraid to mention it.
I am quite certain that will change with the next big reality check.... perhaps after my next appointment on Wednesday.

Welcome, Preacherman.

Sorry, mate. But welcome.

Preacherman, not knowing was the worst for my husband and I as well. I felt our first neurologist thought it was ALS but did not want to say so. I was a complete basket case. I would burst out crying in the grocery store! Got on some meds to help. We then went to MUSC where hubby was diagnosed with probable ALS also. Though it is not what we wanted to hear, we were relieved also to be able to plan and get on with our lives

Thank you all for the welcome.

SKlocinski, sorry about your husband... and, of course we certainly did not want to hear what they finally had to say; but, like you, at least now we can make plans and get on with our lives.
My wife has been very stressed and emotional since we really started thinking ALS, but now that we kind of have an answer it's more like 'time to get to business'.

Atsugi; Again I appreciate all of your information about the VA... I have been in contact with the PVA and am getting my paperwork together. I may wait until my appointment Wednesday, though, to proceed further.

Sorry to welcome you to our family xx

Preacerman, welcome. I know what you mean about almost feeling relieved to finally get the diagnosis. We went through a long process over a few years with some conflicting opinions from various neurologists before finally getting the diagnosis of ALS at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester.

Don't hesitate to ask questions. There are some great knowledgeable and caring people here.

Sharon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back