04/2016
Country
US
State
Somewhere
City
Small Town
Good morning, all!

Aside from a quick "Happy Birthday" message to Max a few months ago, the last post I recall is from when I received my "working diagnosis" of PLS in March of 2015. I have had continued follow-up with the Director of our local ALSA Clinic, including a repeat EMG in December of 2015. That repeat EMG disclosed LMN involvement. I attended my first Clinic yesterday and received the formal diagnosis of ALS at that time.

Laurie, I want to personally thank you for all of the valuable information in the Second Opinion and First Clinic Visit sticky you developed. Having read that sticky thoroughly, yesterday's Clinic Visit was far more productive than it might have otherwise been. Several clinicians were surprised at the types of questions I was able to pose to them and at how thoroughly prepared I was as a "newbie". All of that is due to your effort and dedication Laurie and my thanks are very sincere.

Our ALSA Clinic is about 1/2 hour from my home and I'm further blessed to have an ALSA Center of Excellence within about an hour and a half. The Clinic Director is very sure of his diagnosis, but was more than willing to refer me to that Center of Excellence for a Second Opinion. He anticipates an appointment at that Center of Excellence within a month's time. The silver lining within the cloud is that my ALS is apparently UMN dominant and progression is VERY slow to date.

Mike, my thanks to you also for reminding all of us Vets to contact PVA. The Clinic Director actually made that contact for me, and I received an e-mail from PVA just this morning. It seems as though PVA is on top of things and I'm hopeful that they can expedite VA review.

I do visit the site almost daily to read, meditate and pray about the numerous issues raised by members here. While that's my primary Modus Operandi, I'm certainly available to everyone. Please do let me know of anything with which I might be able to help.

Have a great one, folks, and I'll post following my Second Opinion visit, if not before.

John

I am sorry to hear this. As you say the UMND is a silver lining to a dark cloud. I am glad you are getting the PVA involved, that you have a good neurologist and are going for a second opinion. Please let us know how things go and please don't hesitate to ask for help too. Aside from what I suspect to be your natural reticence to do so, often the slower progressing PALS hesitate to reach out knowing that others have speedier progression

John, I am sorry to hear your news, but delighted that progression is slow.

None of us knows what our future holds, but we can get the most out of every day we have been blessed with.

I will keep you in my prayers.

Steve

John I'll agree that while I'm sorry to hear your news, slow progression is something to be thankful for.

Do start joining in as you like xx

John,
I'm glad that the sticky was helpful, though sorry about your revised dx.

As others have said, it sounds like you have many logistics in hand, but pipe up with questions/comments any time.

Best,
Laurie

Welcome John. I can tell that you will be wonderful for everyone on the forum.

Good morning folks, and thanks for the replies!! Nikki, you are one perceptive lady!! It truly is difficult for those who give to also ask. As I continue along this pathway, that's one of the things on my list of many things to change. Hard though it may be, I know that I need not only to accept assistance when needed, but to actually be so bold as to ask for it!

I received a phone call from that Center of Excellence this morning, and I'm scheduled for my second opinion visit on Friday, April 22nd. That'll be an all-day visit, including a confirming EMG (aren't they absolutely great??)... :) I think I'll cross any thoughts of acupuncture off of my "to do" list I find it interesting that I can get into the Center far more quickly that I can our local Clinic. If it weren't for the drive, I think I'd consider transferring my care to the Director of that Center.

Have a great one, all! Thanks again for the responses, and do let me know if I can be of assistance in any way.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back