Diagnosis
10/2015
Country
CA
State
Saskatchewan
City
Montmartre
My mom was diagnosed with als in October 2015 . She started with a drop foot a year ago . God what a nightmare ! I can't believe this is happening . I live four hours away have 3 teenage sons . She is 73 but was on awesome shape until this year ! She uses a walker , but I am looking for an electric wheelchair soon :( my dad isn't in the best of shape ( and won't even discuss anything... Like moving or the future) my brother is living with them & I come up a often . I think I'm losing my mind . I'm so overwhelmed with fear ...

Hi, Katie, and sorry you find yourself here. It takes time to process. You might encourage your brother to check us out, too, and/or your mom or dad. Pipe up with questions or comments any time.

Best,
Laurie

Sorry to meet you here. Here you will find an incredible wealth of knowledge and support. You are among friends.
VIncent

I'm a mess :(
Nothing can help ... All I see is pain and darkness ahead . I am consumed with fear and sadness ... No it's so much worse than I can put in words ...
I can't believe this

Sorry to welcome you here Katie.
Believe me we understand the sorrow.
I lost my own husband to ALS.

I think it is worth talking to your doctor about how much it is affecting you and maybe you can get to a good counsellor.

I saw a counsellor regularly and took antidepressants. It stopped me feeling like I was constantly screaming inside. I still felt everything, but I was able to cope and not become completely overwhelmed.

Starting to talk here is another great strategy - I can't imagine doing it without the support of people online who became my family.

We can't cure ALS, we can't take it all away (and believe me we have tried and wish we could), but we can walk along beside you and help support you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back