Diagnosis
01/2016
Country
US
State
New York
City
Brooklyn
Our beloved caregiver/friend/family member was diagnosed this week. She is a single mother to a 12-year old son in Brooklyn, NY, and while my mind is swimming with lists of to-dos, questions about medications and holistic treatments, clinical trial availability, and so much more, the most pressing and immediate need that I can address while she is hospitalized in the rehab facility is her housing. She and her son rent a 1-bedroom apartment which is a 2-flight walkup - common here in New York City, but obviously not going to work in the long term here. Is anyone aware of any organization which could assist in finding a wheelchair-accessible rental? Is there any ALS-specific program which might assist in housing placement for low-income, newly diagnosed patients in need? My (admittedly limited) understanding is that filing for Section 8 housing can produce a fairly lengthy waiting period, and I wanted to see if anyone else here had encountered a similar scenario or was perhaps familiar with somebody else who may have dealt with the need to quickly find accessible (stair-free) housing in the greater NYC area, ideally bypassing a several month wait.

My grateful and genuine thanks in advance for any answers to what is one of my many questions, but I'm grasping at straws as to something I can immediately try to do to help, and this seems like something the many knowledgable folks on this board might have insight as to recommended resources or contacts. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for any leads.

it breaks my heart to read this post but I know that you have come to the right place for questions and so many will eagerly help here. My first suggestion to anyone is to contact the local ALS association. They can get loaner equipment to her and will give you a lot of advice on what to do.

So sorry. Agree ALSa chapter. Also try the MDA as ALS falls under their umbrella. Does she have an ALS clinic yet? They would have a socialworker and there must be a social worker at the rehab. And I am sure you are contacting the non ALS agencies like the Commission for disabilities or whatever you call it there. I would imagine accessible housing is hard to find in NYC. It is everywhere and I am sure it is magnified there. She is lucky to have such a good friend

If she is a vet, calling pva to help is a must.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back