Diagnosis
03/2015
Country
US
State
LA
City
New Orleans
I first noticed a problem when my left foot started dragging, ( drop foot). I was diagnosed with ALS in March of this year. Several months ago I started falling and I just told myself I need to be more careful. Two months ago I tripped going out my front door and broke my freaking neck. I'm okay now after a week in the hospital and wearing a neck brace for six weeks. I've seen several people mentioning don't fall, don't fall. All I can say it again.... if you are starting to have trouble walking don't fall because you can break your neck which really hurts.

Wow, that was scary to read. Glad you are healing from the broken neck.

Thanks for the reminder to be careful (and probably listen to my wife just a bit more;)).

Steve

Hope you are ordering a power wheelchair. It will give you so much more freedom without the worry. Hope you heal quickly. Donna

An AFO (ankle foot orthotic) will support your weak foot and allow you to walk more easily. Once your leg starts to go, add a walking stick or fancy cane (I had a sword cane!).
Once both legs are involved you can use a pair of walking sticks until you have to start using a rollator (a 4-wheeled walker).
At some point you will feel nervous using the walker; it's then time for the power wheelchair.

This is how my progression went.

Oh my, that is so scary.

I've known of too many PALS who died of head injuries in falls - it is so serious.

I'm glad you did not have spinal damage as well and are healing up.

Now, you need to get serious about preventing more falls with the suggestions here on where to start.

My Chris suffered awful serious injuries in falls and he suffered pain and faster progression for the rest of the time he had left :cry:

Oh my goodness that is amazing!
Glad you recovered.
Unfortunately the reminders of why we shouldn't fall are very scary reminders.
Take care.

God bless, Janelle x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back