Diagnosis
04/2015
Country
US
State
OR
City
The coast of
Checked online today and my SSDI was approved retroactive to last month so I should get a payment this month according to the website.

Big tip: My first symptoms were documented in December and I was out of work since October so they went by that instead of the date I filed an application. So those two are VERY important.

Now the next big thing is I have to find a Medigap plan and Plan D coverage as well. Anyone have have recommendations pro/con that offer coverage in Oregon?

We're working with the ALS Org Social workers on finding something but any personal experiences would be very welcome.

Thanks,
Brad

Same here Brad. I got a call today that I was approved. I filed online the day of my diagnosis but they actually went all the way back to June of last year for my established onset date. The back pay will help.

Not sure about Oregon, but Cigna has the cheapest gap plan in my state. It was a third of the cost of Anthem, United and Aetna.

Vince

That's great news Vince. And thanks for the heads up, I will definitely check out Cigna. Don't spend it all in one place...

Be careful of high deductibles and seperate deductibles for dme.

Yep. Word I've gotten has been that no one ever regrets the higher premium plans that cover everything. No/Low deductible and no/minimum co-pay is primary criteria.

Brad,
Go to the Medicare plan finder. Enter personalized info, including your drugs and you will get a list of options. You want a Medicare Advantage plan that will combine Part D and the "gap," and often cover extras traditional Medicare doesn't. The premium for the right plan is well worth it. If multiple plans meet your premium needs, go to ratings sites and compare the leading contenders. We had Regence, who I believe is also in Oregon, not sure about your county. I also currently have had UHC and had them in the past; they are fine.

Also, the network of providers is critical. You need a wide network. And of course you want a PPO or point-of-service design, not a gatekeeper (HMO design) that controls your specialty referrals. Personally I would stay away from Providence and the smaller networks.

Glad it went so well for you.

Brad,
Go to the Medicare plan finder. Enter personalized info, including your drugs and you will get a list of options. You want a Medicare Advantage plan that will combine Part D and the "gap," and often cover extras traditional Medicare doesn't. The premium for the right plan is well worth it. If multiple plans meet your premium needs, go to ratings sites and compare the leading contenders. We had Regence, who I believe is also in Oregon, not sure about your county. I also currently have had UHC and had them in the past; they are fine.

Also, the network of providers is critical. You need a wide network. And of course you want a PPO or point-of-service design, not a gatekeeper (HMO design) that controls your specialty referrals. Personally I would stay away from Providence and the smaller networks.

Thanks for the info! Will get on it ASAP.

If you are under 65 you might have to forget about Medigap policies. Companies are not required by federal law to sell medigap to anyone under 65 disabled or not. States have different rules. Many have none, in Texas, companies are only required to offer plan A medigap, which is about as useful as an ice cube in a drought.
Oregon, being more caring of people in general is more generous and actually requires companies to offer a useful plan. I think plan F is one of the more useful ones. I know you can get plan B in Oregon if you are under 65. in Texas, they'd rather have you die if you are sick.

True. The Plan F is what was recommended to us by the lady at SHIBA.

>in Texas, companies are only required to offer plan A medigap, which is about as useful as an ice cube in a drought.

:)

however no property tax helps a lot :)

we talking about Texas Max? Has one of the higher property taxes no income tax.

Vet benefit Neil

>we talking about Texas Max? Has one of the higher property taxes no income tax

yup, neil :) -- also all the tollways, public parking ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back