Diagnosis
02/2015
Country
US
State
wv.
City
renick
well, i have been holding back before getting on line about all this. i don't use the computor much and one finger typing sucks. i have been diagnosed w/ als on 2/13/15 friday the13th.
i am a combat viet nam purple heart veteran USMC. my whole life i have been super active super on the go all the time. i am a husband, father, grandfather, clown, stilt-walker, actor, chorographer, director, raft guide, extreme kayak-er, snowboarder, mt. biker, hunter, fishermen, herbalist, farmer, etc etc. to hear this news as really thrown me thru a loop. i started to notice my hands were not working so good about a year ago and since then they have gone down hill as my legs and feet have also. i have great VA benefits and a great family and friend support system. i am not alone with this disease! there are so many changes i go thru on a daily bases i can't begin to explain. i have faith that my higher power has something in store for me down this road, i think my job is to just relax and accept all this,but IT'S HARD! anyway glad to be in a forum group with like-minded people. thanks chally

Welcome, Chally.

Have you taken your diagnosis to the Paralyzed Veterans of America? They are the best VSO for ALS.

Chalky, get started right away on getting your housing adaptation grant through the VA- it is time consuming and you want to have it in place long before you need it! The same with the smaller HISA grant.
Sounds like your life has been full and interesting! It isn't over yet, my friend! Keep enjoying. Donna

>but IT'S HARD! anyway glad to be in a forum group with like-minded people. thanks chally

Ditto that! search this site for 'va',

welcome

Max - Thursday, April 23, 2015 11:46:51 AM

ALS sucks, but It Is What It Is ... and someone else has it worse so I'll try not to complain today!
onset 9/2010, diagnosed with ALS by Stanley Appel 8/29/2013

Welcome, Chally. It's always sad to welcome a new member, but it's good that you've decided to join us. Ditto what Atsugi and Cheerleader have said--get started on the VA benefits ASAP as they can sometimes take awhile and, as you apparently know already, it's not possible to predict how quickly or in what direction ALS will progress.

Hello Chally.
Today is ANZAC day in Australia. We remember all our service heroes, particularly Gallipoli this year as today is 100 years since that fateful landing. I wish you all the best with the VA. Being Australian, I'm not really sure how it all works but I really hope it's not going to add any stress to what is already a huge change for you.
I'm so glad your support team is with you on this, as are we. (I'm pretty new too, but feel very "at home" here).
God Bless, Janelle x

>I'm pretty new too, but feel very "at home" here

:)

Chally,

Sorry to find you here, but glad to see your participation. Thank you for your service. Hopefully, we can give back by helping you find answers to the many questions that will arise on this journey. As has already been said, you still have life left to be lived. My best to you and yours...

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back