04/2014
Country
US
State
ST
City
City
Hello all,

I was diagnosed with ALS in April of this year, about a year after I starting showing signs of slurred speech. So, I'm not newly diagnosed, and have had time to process my situation, but I'm new to the ALS forums, having only registered recently. I realized I would benefit from having more community involvement in my life. That's something new for me even without the context of ALSl, so it might take me a bit to get used to it.

I feel like my progression has been somewhat rapid, though I don't really have much in the way of comparison. Over the summer I started experiencing more fatigue while working (driving mass transit - I'm bulbar onset), and my speech started to decline more. I needed to cut back my work schedule a couple of months ago, and it's cut back really far now. Fortunately, my employer is being extremely helpful in accommodating my needs.

My speech is pretty far gone now. I'm past the point where people are asking if I'm drunk. But if I'm very careful and rested, I can still be understood. Swallowing plain water is problematic, though smoothies are still okay. I realized about a month ago I can no longer eat steak because my tongue gets too tired. Sushi is becoming a problem both due to size of food and my unwillingness to give up on using chopsticks when eating it (using a fork seems like sacrilege). Saturday was the first day I couldn't unbutton my shorts without using a pair of pliers to assist me. Gripping is fine if I use my whole hand, and I can still walk mostly fine. The only affect on my legs so far (other than cramping) is the right foot walking on heel test.

My attitude so far is mostly that of experiencing this as a journey. I'm not really getting frustrated with things, as much as observing, "Oh, I can't do that now." I don't know if, or how much, that will change.

My current intent is to be on the forums and interact a bit. We'll see how that goes.

like all the others, sorry to meet you here but welcome!

The next weeks, months will be an emotional roller coaster. Try to go with the flow, expect fear, anger, bitterness, and a new awareness of life. I have found that being active here on these forums has helped me in way I cannot explain, but you will see.

before trying miracle cures, etc., ask here, go to alsuntangled dot com.

Lastly, anxiety can be debilitating so beware.

Lastly, lastly DON'T FALL, take vitamins, keep your calorie intake up, and stay away from sick people, especially w/ respiratory problems.

Kind regards and warm welcome,
------

Max - Monday, December 29, 2014 11:01:22 PM

ALS sucks, but It Is What It Is ... and someone else has it worse so I'll try not to complain today!
onset 9/2010, diagnosed with ALS by Stanley Appel 8/29/2013

Welcome to our little party. Max is right about the emotional rollercoaster. Your attitude of a journey is a good one--try to hang on to it. In addition to Max's other advice, I'd add planning ahead. Find out what equipment and modifications you will need as things progress and get them in place ahead of time. Denial is common and may make that difficult, but if you think of it as very early planning, perhaps it will be easier. Oh, and yes, do interact here. It helps both PALS and CALS. I've never been interested in support groups before now, but I don't know what I'd do without this forum now.

Welcome to the forums. We are more than just a group. In many ways we are family.

Patrick

Welcome I was diagnosed in April as well. It is good to plan ahead as said above and Max's "rules" are really important.
I would add it is important to find ways to conserve your energy. Don't waste it trying to do things the old way if you are going to be too exhausted to do the important things

Sorry to 'meet' you here, but it is a good place to be.

I was also officially diagnosed in April although the neurologist suspected it in Jan. I have followed all these long time members advice and tried not to fall (failed a couple of times). I agree with the planning ahead also. It has helped my wife and I work through this day by day. I must say it is strange hearing a song and thinking that would be a good one for my memorial service. My "ToDo" list seems to get longer and sleep is harder to come by as my mind races & my fasciculations pound (I took 10 mg of baclofin & 30mg of temazepam and am wide awake right now).

See you around the forum.
Doug

Welcome to the most elite club no one wants to join. It is the best place to be, and we will become family to you. You do have a great attitude, so do hold on to it and your quality of life will be so much higher :)

also remember the rules:
------
#1 don't fall
#2 don't hang around sick people, at 1st sign of respiratory issue go to doc
#3 conserve energy, rest, never push it, try to relax
#4 stay warm
#5 take vitamins

ALS is about living, not dying!
-----
ok well, we take what we get and be glad for what we have :)
------
If you have not yet, go to youtube and search "ALS ABC" and watch all 3. I sent those to friends and family, too.

Sorry to 'meet' you here, but it is a good place to be.

I was also officially diagnosed in April although the neurologist suspected it in Jan. I have followed all these long time members advice and tried not to fall (failed a couple of times). I agree with the planning ahead also. It has helped my wife and I work through this day by day. I must say it is strange hearing a song and thinking that would be a good one for my memorial service. My "ToDo" list seems to get longer and sleep is harder to come by as my mind races & my fasciculations pound (I took 10 mg of baclofin & 30mg of temazepam and am wide awake right now).

See you around the forum.
Doug

Welcome aboard the Love Boat, please engage in conversation and contribution of your experience and feelings. We all have a common denominator in this journey.
There are many great people here, and a plethora of knowledge....some of them even have a good sense of humor, and can laugh at themselves in the face of impending doom.:)

I put Doug's post in quote because it really hit home with me. It is exactly what I am experiencing and a whole lot more.

>some of them even have a good sense of humor, and can laugh at themselves in the face of impending doom.

hrumph!

Welcome and sorry you have to join our club, although I don't comment much I have found the Pals and Cals support to be invaluable. take care, Anne

Everyone is different, but you might try Nuedexta. Until I took this I was choking whenever I swallowed, even on saliva. Afterwards I could eat a hamburger. Some people it really helps with swallowing, and sometimes, I am told even speech.
Make sure you tell the ALS clinic that you have an emotional lability problem-that way insurance will pay for it.
If you dont have government insurance, the company that makes it has a plan whefre you pay no more than $30 per prescription.

Neil - I didn't know that about Nuedexta. I just started taking that. I choke on water if I'm not careful. It'll be interesting to see if it helps.

vishara - welcome to the forum. Everyone here is very kind & helpful and you'll find a lot of answers here too.
Dianne

welcome vishara, you are among friends.

Janie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back