Diagnosis
12/2014
Country
US
State
Fl
City
Jacksonville Beach
Just starting the journey, wanted to introduce myself. I'm Doug, 51, currently work for att as a technician.DOC said I need to stop that so, freaking out ! I have trouble with legs and lower back, in fact last years diagnoses was a pinched nerve....fortunately so far, no trouble above the waist. Any way, glad this forum is here, I'm sure I'll have a ton of questions soon as I figure out what to do about job and such.

Welcome. So sorry you need to be here though. Please read the stickies at the top of the general discussion forum especially the one on ssdi. If you are a vet read that sticky too.
Do you have sick leave and disability to help until ssdi kicks in?
We are here for you

Thanks,Nikki! I have been going over a lot of the stickies and contacting Union, taking a crash course on my benefits. I'm lucky in the sense that I'm 51 and have 25 years in...so retiring May be an option. Or disability for a bit then retire...? Like most people I'm not prepared for these decisions on top of everything else.thought I had another 12 yrs to work!

Welcome, sounds like we're in the same boat. I too just turned 50, finally diagnosed and stopped work at the end of November. Still adjusting to the new reality. All lower body symptoms. Lots of stuff in common. You are among friends.
Vincent

Warm, albeit reluctant, welcome to you, Doug. Only reluctant because I wish you hadn't needed to find this forum. But glad you're here now to share this journey with us. My husband is 58 and has bulbar-onset ALS. His last day on the job will be in Jan. 2015--as soon as his replacement is up-to-speed.

The sticky on SSDI is extremely helpful, and an actuary from a private long-term disability insurer told us today that when a claim is filed with them make sure it covers extreme fatigue, vulnerability to illnesses exposed to on the job (and their potential impact on PALS), and continued progression, generally, and then anything specific to the job (for my husband, that is inability to verbally communicate).

Hope your transition goes as smoothly as possible. And that yours is, too, Vincent, and you're finding new things and new joys to fill your days.

Cindy

Welcome. I am also fairly new here and have found this to be a wonderful resource.

Steve

This is the first place I've ever been where we are sorry to welcome you, but welcome. You will find helpful information and tons of support here.

Thanks, And hello Vincent,Cindy,Steve and Nuts! I'm lucky to live by and can go to the Cleveland Clinic, one of the docs called my wife this morning to check on us...and also to reiterate that I can't drive anymore....bummer. Hopefully I can continue seeing them once I officially leave AT&T, I think the coverage changes for retirees....

Welcome to the group, Doug. We're sorry you have to be here, but so glad you came. This is a wonderfully supportive place to be.

tracy

Welcome Doug, you are among friends, ask any questions. The shock of it all will wear off, as Max says it is what it is.

Welcome to the place we would all kill to not have to belong to. For disability, there is STDI (short term disability) and LTDI (long term disability) as well as SSDI (social security disability).
Be aware that STDI is often paid by the company you worked for while LTDI is paid by an insurance company that has every incentive, and no disincentive, to deny you. This is true even if you send the information to the same company that administers both plans for your employer.
STDI is paid for the first 6 months and LTDI after that.
When I applied to Social Security I included a letter from my neurologist with my diagnosis and all the physical issues I was having. It stated I was totally disabled due to these issues (breathing, swallowing, etc). That was enough for both social security and STDI through my employer.
For LTDI the insurance companies do one of 2 things. They either argue you arent really disabled, or they will try to say it was a pre existing condition to your current employment. Find out who will be paying your LTDI then google that company and include LTDI-I would bet you will find lots of people discussing how they were denied coverage.
After 2 years assuming you get LTDI they will try to cut you off again by saying that you could work anywhere-of course thats pretty difficult to do to us since by then many of us would be dead or profoundly disabled anyway.
Its very important to see exactly how your plan is worded as different plans have different language.
Hope this helps.

So very sorry to welcome you here Doug. It is the best place to be even if none of wanted to have to be here.

Ask away when you are ready.

Welcome Doug.

Thanks! I am looking into the STDI/LTDI. If I could get my Union to call back I could get some questions answered,maybe. The ride is just beginning!

Doug,
Welcome but sorry for your need to be here. I just noticed you wrote that you work for AT&T. My brother is a accountant and a junior partner for them. My sister has a really good job with them as well in human resources. They both live currently in Dallas. Our father is 80 and has limb onset ALS. You will find a lot of good support on here. Sometimes, through all of this we even manage to share a laugh at times. If you have a wife or partner you might ask them to join as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back