07/2014
Country
US
State
CO
City
Vail
He everyone,

I would like to introduce myself. I am Steve, and was diagnosed with MND in July of this year.

First, I would like to thank all the folks that make this site such a wonderful place. I discovered this forum over a year ago and have found great value in the conversations here.

Now, here is a bit of my story.

My wife (Lori) and I will celebrate our 30th anniversary this month. We live in beautiful Vail Colorado, which we have tremendously enjoyed. I have avidly pursued outdoor activities including hiking, backpacking, climbing, mountaineering, mountain biking, road biking, downhill skiing, cross country skiing, and snowshoeing, etc.. My wife has joined me in most of those pursuits, except the rock climbing. She has been an avid runner, which I have never been. I am also an avid photographer and have spent way too much time trying to photograph wildlife, especially in Yellowstone and Rocky Mountain National Park.

I have had a wonderful career in the high tech industry, which I have enjoyed immensely. I have worked with great folks on great projects playing with amazing technology. I am no longer able to work effectively, and I truly miss it. I still talk to the folks at work regularly, though.

I have been diagnosed with MND, but the neurologist says that he does not believe it is ALS. However, he has also said that it will follow a course similar to ALS.

The diagnostic process has been long and winding. Looking back, the first symptom was in about 2007, to which a doctor asked if I was depressed. As symptoms progressed, I was referred to a rheumatologist, who found a legitimate rheumatological condition, which I thought would explain everything. When I told him I was tripping, he referred me to a neurologist.

I have now seen 5 neurologists, spent 2 weeks at Mayo, and had lots of tests. In June 2013, the neurologist told me my symptoms were consistent with ALS. In July of this year, he finally diagnosed it as MND.

There are many more details and funny stories of the diagnostic process, but I think those would just bore folks.

I really appreciate having the opportunity to participate in this forum and have access to the support I know we will need as we continue to deal with this. Thanks to everyone for making this possible.

Steve

So sorry to welcome you to our most elite club Steve.

You probably feel as though you know some of us already if you have been reading here for some time. Now we can reciprocate and get to know you and you will find great support.

Gita fellow Coloradian.

> I have been diagnosed with MND, but the neurologist says that he does not believe it is ALS.

In the US MND is a bit generic, did he name your malady?

welcome steve.

Welcome Steve.

Welcome to the club nobody should have to join. You are among friends.
Vincent

Welcome Steve - to the family.

Welcome to Heartbreak Hotel.

Do I see a common denominator? Healthy, active, intelligent, positive people who would otherwise expect to live into their nineties are being felled.

Do I see a common denominator? Healthy, active, intelligent, positive people who would otherwise expect to live into their nineties are being felled.

I had this same thought, Graybeard

Gita - thought that must be secret, colorado code

Welcome Steve, sorry you had to join.

Hi Steve,

Welcome as you probably already know there is a lot of knowledge on this forum from people who are actually living with this monster or have lived with it and still willing to
be here for support and to offer kind words and good advice.

Keep checking in.

Hi Steve, welcome ,coming from Oz we call it MND not ALS , I enquired about getting some travel insurance and the sales agent asked me what kind of MND did my husband have and I said well it's MND. I didn't know it could then be split up into types.
Love Gem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back