Diagnosis
12/2014
Country
US
State
PA
City
Lancaster
I just received my diagnosis of ALS on Tuesday December 2 2014. I am 48 years old and am currently able to continue to work but am concerned about the future. I have read that you should sign up for Social Security Disability ASAP. And that it takes five months to get approved.

What is the best way to handle this? I am struggling with understanding all the things that I need to do and where to start.

The Social Security Administration considers a claim of ALS to be both a Compassionate Allowance (CAL) case and also a Terminal Illness (TERI) case. There is no waiting period. These cases are expedited. They are required to call you within 3 days to set up an appointment.

Sign up ASAP. Every month you delay is money wasted that you will need for your care. Call the SSA central number to get started.

Are you a veteran? If so, see the sticky note on top of our "General" Forum.

I believe there is a slight issue here: you have to quit working first.

You can't keep plugging away at your job and also get SSDI.

Also if you are a.vet, you dont need to wait for the.compensation determination to.access the healthcare.

I am not a VET, just a plain guy who is trying to figure out what to do in light of this affliction. When it all started a year and a half ago I was a winning triathlete whose goal was to place in a full ironman. Now I have to figure out how to function with ever progressing limited capabilities. Sorry for the down tone, just a rough time.

Tripete,

That's not a down line, that's your reality! Of course it's a rough time.

Somewhat like Vets, triathletes are at greater risk for ALS as you probable have learned.

Keep asking your questions and use the information that's helpful to you. Can't help on the disability question tho as I have no knowledge.

Sherry

this is a rough ride welcome to the group. ssd will work with you. they want you to work long as you can. but there is a time where you are going have to stop. you do want to get it started right away. you just have to let them know when you stop working.

We certainly understand. The first few months are quite surreal. Those of us who were high-level athletes seem to be more risk. I taught challenge levels water aerobics and weightlifting until I couldn't hold on to the weights anymore. As a child I was being groomed for the Olympics swimming 3 to 5 miles a day. I used to work out my anger and my fear with exercise. That is probably been the biggest adjustment for me. Good luck and were here for anything you might need. Many of us up and down this road so feel free to ask. One day at a time.
Hollister

There is Ssdi information in a sticky at the top of the General Discussion subforum.

Many of us here were very physically active before this happened. The adjustment to the new reality is tough but evolves over time. I've found some relief by spending time in the pool everyday after my bike became unsafe to ride. Just don't risk a fall.

Sorry you have joined us, but you will find answers to the hard questions here. And lots of support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back