Diagnosis
08/2014
Country
CA
State
ON
City
Barrie
Now I have been officially diagnosed the first everyone asks is when do I stop working. Still sort of mobile but I tire easily and sleep for 2-3 hours after work. I'm not in a position to work part time as I cant afford to lose the income. If I stop completely in a couple of months LTD kicks in and I can afford to live on that. So what to do? I don't want to work till I am not able to enjoy the time left..........
Vincent

Crap. I'm sorry.

I say f*** it. Quit the first minute you can.

*hugs*

I don't want to work till I am not able to enjoy the time left..........
Vincent

Right. Plus remember to budget social security.

I'd say get your doc to write a script saying you can't work, start your short term disability followed by ltd. and go ahead and start your SSDI paperwork. You won't be able to draw the SSDI for a few months but the sooner the better. Also file for Medicare so as soon as your eligible you can start drawing and be covered

I agree with above. Save your energy. Pushing yourself to work will if anything accelerate your progress. If you can live on your disability quit on Monday. I know you are in Canada but work on whatever paperwork you need to.

What Dalvin said. I was so tired when I got home from work I couldnt even make dinner just went to bed. was losing lots of weight I have since put back on. Quit and apply for SSDI.

Oh and stay away from sick people-if you get a respiratoty infection you wont be able to recover well.

I agree with all the above except you need to remember that once you get SSDI, it will subtracted from your LTD. And any amounts paid that you get in lump sum from SSDI will need to be repaid to the LTD carrier. I had a $15K lump sum that the LTD carrier worked with me to pay back over 3 years.

Enjoy life every day, whether or not one has ALS

Thanks for the replies. It seems unanimus, go on LTD asap. Being in Canada it's CPP not SSDI, Works the same I guess.
Vincent

I'd not even thought of quitting work, just carrying on as normal for as long as possible, that said, I'm not entitled to any benefits here as am in Australia on a 4 year work sponsored visa from the UK so guess for me its carry on until something drastic happens or I hit a wall and head back to the UK at that stage. Its a hard decision as the lifestyle here is so good at weekends, so I guess its a case of slog it out Mon-Fri 9-5 as long as possible just to enjoy the weekends as much and as well as i can! :? But maybe I'm missing out on the last quality of life I have left by doing that ... Hmmm! :confused:

Is it possible to continue working but reduce your hours ? That might enable you to keep going for a while if you need to.

Vincent, I agree with Dalvin, but I will add that work gives you purpose and something to do. work for enjoyment do not work because you think you should. life is short--use the LtD

Vincent, I would say make your reasonable bucket list and have at it. Travel and do all that you can now. Things take more time but most anything can be done. Enjoy your life. Do the things you find important and do the things you must to be prepared. Stephanie

I agree but only if your wife is off or works only part time or something. It can get pretty lonely sitting by yourself. You seemed like a pretty outgoing guy, make sure you keep things as normal as you can. Depression can set in easily.

As for cpp~ takes a couple months to come in, hope Ltd with your work b/c the government one wouldn't give us anything, said I made too much, HA!

My advice :
Leave work as soon as you can, you're going to want to live a little more now and want to be able to at the drop of a dime.
Ask your Dr to sign and back date your cpp disability to when you first experienced symptoms.
If you have LTD from work, you can collect that and cpp at the same time.
Live man, LIVE!

If you need anything, let me know, it's a scary stressfull thing.
Cheers
Casey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back