Diagnosis
08/2014
Country
US
State
Pa
City
Secane
Hello from South East Pa. Im here cause my mother just told me that she was diagnosed with ALS. Wow! Im both confused and of course scared! I guess Im here looking for answers. To what questions, I don't know yet. I guess I'll have a lot of them in the near future. In the mean time I will be browsing the forum and doing a lot of reading all over the internet.

Thanks Rich

Rich,

So sorry to hear about your Mom and to have to meet you like this. You have, however, found a resource of information and caring people. The information will help you learn what to expect and make it easier to meet the many challenges of this terrible disease. And the people will be here to answer questions and to help guide you through the harder times and share joy during the good times. And, surprisingly, there will be some really good times yet to be had.

Again, welcome. I/we look forward to getting to know you...

Jim

Welcome, you'll find both helpful advice and humor here. You'll find that pretty much no subject matter concerning the care and treatment of pals is off limits.

Welcome. Read all you can, starting with the stickies for basic information on medication etc. Even if it doesnt make sense at first, it will very quickly. You will feel overwhelmed, scared, afraid....that is normal. We are all here to listen, help, and to vent to when needed. Trust me at different times we all lean on each other. It is the best part because if you are on here, you are living it and you get it. Sorry you are here but so glad you found this very supportive and helpful group.

Be welcome here though so sorry you had to join . You might want to look at the CALS threads as these show the problems that develop with us PALS. There are many people here who have answers and of course, understand the depths of despair that come with this horrible disease. I have come to rely on them even more than my doctors, who sometimes say things I know arent right because I'm on this forum.

hi, rich --

>Im here cause my mother just told me that she was diagnosed with ALS.

sorry to see you here but there are a lot of support folks that can help.

did you mom get diagnosed by an ALS experienced neuro? note most are not. if not you mightt consider a 2nd opinion. Also, if your mom's a vet, contact the pva asap ...

kind regards,

-----
Max - Saturday, August 23, 2014 5:09:07 PM
-----
onset 9/2010, diagnosed with ALS by Stanley Appel 8/29/2013
It Is What It Is ...

Mooney I'm so sorry you've needed to join us.

Take it a bit easy just now. I know I scared myself silly reading here when my husband was first diagnosed.

Ask questions and we will do our best to answer and support you. Somewhere after the first month or so you start to find the new normal and find your way through it all.

Once your mum settles in to the diagnosis you might encourage her to join here as well so we can support her too.

Thank you everybody! Max, my mother was diagnosed by one of the leading neurologists in the Philadelphia areas. She is meeting with another doctor that is closer to us in the burbs for I guess a second opinion as well as a doctor that will be closer when the time comes for more frequent visits. She seems to be showing signs of drop foot and is being fitted with a brace. She just had a disc fusion procedure and will be coming home from the Skilled nursing unit on Monday.

Thanks again!

Welcome mooney,
Sorry that you need to be here but glad to meet you, this a good group of people who can answer many of your questions.

Janie

Good to meet mooney,
We are a good group of people pals and cals. Don't be afraid to ask question, scream a little. Cry a little. That's why we are here.
Patrick

Hi,
I'm sorry to hear about your mom's diagnosis. I know it is a difficult time.

Sorry to see you here Rich.

Encourage your mother to join, too.

Another source of info is the following website maintained by one of our members who has the dual distinctions of having been diagnosed ~29 years ago and having been a nurse practitioner in Neurosciene.

ALS: From Both Sides

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back