09/2013
Country
US
State
Tx
City
Amarillo
Hello all -

I've decided to stop lurking & introduce myself. I was diagnosed last Sept by Dr Stanley Appel in Houston. Like all of you - it was quite a shock for me & my husband, Jim. My symptoms had started about a year before that with left arm & hand weakness which was initially attributed to some herniated discs in my neck. Last April I started to have some difficulty walking - and just thought I was out of shape for the winter. I'm still able to walk but not very long or very far. I use a rollater mostly at stores. Unfortunately, I fell 10 days ago & broke my right foot which is the stronger of the two, so even tho' I'm in a boot I have to use crutches or my rollater around the house. I'm concerned that I'm losing muscle in my foot while in the boot, which may not come back.

While I'm not really glad to be here on this forum - I am glad to meet all of you

Dianne

Welcome Dianne
Sorry you have to join us but glad you decided to speak up! Sorry about your fracture. Falls are horrible.
Look forward to getting to know you!

A very warm welcome, Dianne, though we are all very sorry that you have reason to be here. My wife, Annie, was also a quilter. :) She later took up rug hooking when she could no longer handle the quilts. Perhaps you might post some photos of your quilts?

Grace and peace to you.
Phil

Welcome, Dianne --

>I'm still able to walk but not very long or very far.

me too. I'll update my july/aug entries to avoid repeating. had bad breathing week, but getting better.

Sorry to 'see' you here but welcome!

-----
Max - Saturday, August 16, 2014 11:49:17 AM
-----
onset 9/2010, diagnosed with ALS by Stanley Appel 8/29/2013
It Is What It Is ...

Welcome Dianne,
We are a good group of people

>We are a good group of people

oh yea? let's see the ice bucket challenge from 120th & I25 :)

Welcome Dianne,
so sorry you have to join us, and I'm really saddened to hear of your fall and foot injury.

My husband did similar in that he had one arm and hand way better than the other and he fell and ruptured the tendons in the good shoulder. That changed everything as PALS just don't heal well.

Please be careful now to avoid further falls and worse injuries.

Hello Dianne,
I'm sorry you have to join this exclusive club! I'm new at this, diagnosed June 17th of this year. This is a good group of folks in here! Please share some with us so we can get to know you.

Lynne

Dianne,
Welcome to our family, be careful, falls can really set you back, I fell on Christmas eve and fractured my elbow, I don't remember much about Christmas last year but I plan on having a good one this year.
Janie

Welcome Diane!,
As I like to put it I also "took a trip over my "weakend" (I fell) a couple of weeks ago - in front of about a 150 guys and luckily I got away with just a pulled muscle. A bit embarrasing, though! Hope you are recovering from your episode with your right foot.

Because of falls and other emergencies, I began carrying my cell phone every minute of every day. One time, we fell while I was transferring my PALS and we ended up on the floor, parallel to each other, me holding her head in a comfortable breathing position. I called 911. When they entered the house, they were quite patient as I described the importance of keeping her airways clear, then they easily hoisted her up to her chair. They checked vitals and left with my thanks.

Those are some big boys.

Hello very sorry you have to be here. Please try not to fall. I tried to do everything for myself fell 4 times and the last time hurt myself. I'm told this speed up disease progression. Now I let others help me and I haven't fallen since.
Another Texan, I'm telling you theres something about Texas....

>Please try not to fall. I tried to do everything for myself fell 4 times and the last time hurt myself. I'm told this speed up disease progression.

Ditto that!

There also comes a point when you cannot get back up unaided. Major blow to ego. Major problem if no one else is around or able to help!

Do not let yourself get into a situation where you fall. Do not try to 'save face' by using, for example, a cane when you should be using a walker ... I speak from experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back