Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
California
City
El Cajon
I was diagnosed in May 2014 with either als or mmn (multifocal motor neuron disease). I have had two rounds of IVIG (five days in a row, separated by three weeks). My question involves the Babinski sign, which I have briskly present on both feet. My Neuorologist didn't test the reflex, my primary care doc did. My nerve conduction and muscle studies were "dirty". CPK 700 plus, all other scans and tests were normal. I don't know if he even is aware of the Babinski sign presence, but I see the Neuro on Sept. 2, the first time since my diagnostic visit. My symptoms are bilateral, a little worse on my dominant side (right). Does anyone know if mmn (a lower motor neuron disease) can demonstrate this sign (upper motor neuron disease)? Some days I think I am better from the IVIG, other days not. I have no reaction good or bad to the stuff, no headache or anything no matter how fast they infuse it. Lastly, do MMN folk interact on this forum? My symptoms started several years ago with balance and hand weakness problems, leg cramps etc. No matter what I have, I must be a slow progresser at this point. Any thoughts?

My first thought is to ask if you've read the stickies?

Welcome to the forum.
I hope we, as a group, can answer your questions.
I have a couple of observations and questions:
1. Do you mean that your EMG was dirty? I would think that a neurologist would have a better diagnosis than "ALS or MMN."
2. "Some days I am better." ALS doesn't get better, it always gets worse or, at best, stays the same.
3. What is it that gets better? Weakness, pain, lethargy?
4. IVIG doesn't do jack for ALS.

Steve, you need to get a referral to an ALS Clinic and get a definite diagnosis. write down all your questions, and read them to the neuro at clinic.

Seriously--it is very confusing at the beginning.

Agree with Barbie. And I would be concerned about a neurologist who did not check babinski in a neuro exam.
I have never heard babinski described as brisk usually it is a description of what your toes do sometimes it is just positive or negative but to answer your question which of course you need to ask your neurologist about babinski. It is an upper motor neuron sign and is not considered part of the presentation for MMN.
There is subforum for MMN but not really active. You are welcome to hang out up here with us but you might want to try a post there in case someone pops in.

Thanks for the replies. My attempt at brevity left some things confusing. When I saw my neurologist, I had no idea that my referring doctor thought I had a real problem. On the first visit to the neuro and after the muscle and nerve conduction tests and upon completion of my physical exam, I asked him "what's up?" His reply was, "You have a motor neuron disease, and I think you should sell your dental practice". I thought a few seconds, then I asked him, "you mean like als?" to which he replied that it would be the most common form, but it was possible I had MMN or some other rarer form of MND. He said he would recommend IVIG in case there was an autoimmune contribution to my situation (those blood tests turned out negative) and that my HMO does a lot of IVIG treatment, we would do two sessions, then reevaluate everything. He ordered all the other tests, MRI etc. at that time, and texted me when all the tests were done that we would continue on this IVIG tract until he was convinced it was not helping me. He did not do the Babinski test, later my primary care doc did it and I termed my response as "brisk" only because my primary doc remarked how strongly the toes on both feet responded positively with little stimulation. As far as some days being better than others, I would relate it more to what demands I am putting on my body. My neck, right arm/shoulder weakness and early fatigue are unchanged. By the way, I have no deltoids nor triceps muscles of significance, but my biceps are still visible. The hand muscles atrophied early on. What seems different is that the large muscle cramps in my calves are reduced to small cramps that can come and go, but not be debilitating. These cramps are like small muscle groups get hit for a minute or so, then relax. It happens mainly in my legs, intercostal (rib) and jaw area. Both sides are affected. Overall fatigue is still present and I notice the summer heat really takes a toll on my ability to function. If you will indulge me, I would like to relate an experience I had some 4 or 5 weeks ago. I woke up early in the morning to my left leg in total spasm, the whole leg, with the left foot painfully extended in a spastic fashion. My right foot, not the whole leg, at the same time, was also extended in a spastic fashion and I was unable to get out of bed, much less attempt to stand. After a few minutes, the muscles relaxed, but my left calf ached in one area for a week, and now I cannot flex my left foot to the extent I can my right foot, as though some muscle group no longer works. When I drive, after a couple of miles, my right ankle tightens up where it is difficult to move my foot. When walking, it feels like someone is squeezing the distal half of my foot. I have read about foot drop, and I wonder if these symptoms could be a precursor. I am a veteran, and have an appointment with the neurodegenerative clinic in late November at the San Diego VA center. They cooperate with UCSD and their als clinic, so I am in the process of getting a second opinion on my status. I sense that time will tell, one way or another and in my mind, if there is any doubt, I am willing to have the IVIG as long as my neuro is willing to have it administered. Again, I see him on Sept. 2, and have a growing list of questions for him. My primary questions on this forum were related to the Babinski sign, and whether MMN people interact on this forum. I thank you that those questions were answered. Steve

have you ever heard of a paragraph?

------
A distinct section of a piece of writing, allowing the reader to easily understand what has been written. usually indicated by a new line, indentation, or numbering.
------

I will respond this way"

1. In spite of having read most of the stickies relative to the "do i have als?" inquirers, and having become familiar with your oft cryptic and in my opinion unhelpful responses, I decided to pose my questions regardless.

2. Were my questions answered in the stickies?

3. Yes, I have heard of paragraphs.

4. Have you ever heard of forbearance?

5. A couple of the later responders to my questions asked for more information. It was not my intention to relate my story to exhaustion, but being between diagnoses is confusing, and a bit scary. The symptoms I would rather just whisper in the ear of my physicians just poured fourth as I believed I was in a forum safe to do so. For that, I do apologize, as well as it's format which apparently can be exhaustive to the sensitive reader.

6. Since originally posting my questions, I have found an MMN support group on Facebook, and that forum appears to be the more appropriate location to participate, until my diagnosis proves otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back