Reason
PALS
Country
US
State
Fl
City
Margate
I do have Als confirmed and verified. I have been a beer drinker for 45 years now. My tolerance level is high until recently. Now if I drink at the same level as before ( 6 to 8 beers) my coordination in legs and feet are gone each simple step is a journey not to tip or fall. In the past 6 to 8 would not even register as a physical problem. What I am saying is drinking gave me a sign of what my life may in the very near future. I still drink beer but have slowed my in take by half, had no other choice. Mental realization is finally taking hold of this (me) stubborn person. Take Care

That's an interesting observation, Gus. Sorry you had to find out that way. Perhaps that's why mt dear husband cut his nightly beer from two to one!

Question. Why do DreamsEnd. I understand your meaning but have to question if it is total ending or a period of your life. DreamsEnd sounds so sad. Take Care

ALCOHOL is a no no for me because of the meds I am on. When I do drink....it is one beer or a mixed drink.
I have heard that smoking or ingesting marijuana is a preferable substitute. I tried it once...but I never inhaled!

Only once did I not inhale the other 8000 times I did. To me it helps. It takes the focus off ME and on to ice cream or frozen nestle crunch bars.

My dad who has ALS will occasionally have one beer to help relax him before bed but that is all. Please be careful Patch. If it's the taste that you like of beer maybe you could try a n/a brand. But, even with those they still have a little in them so you have to be careful. Take care, Kim

You naughty boys. Lol

You advice is well taken by me. I'm trying really am.

I know a guy he takes his beer through his peg and hopes for good burp so he can taste it. Don't let ALS totally rule your life if you want a few beers have a few, just be carefully you want to fall.

Patrick

As I have had to give up many things this past year while being in the chair, drinking has gotten more relaxing.
Not having to worry about falling is huge.

If we give up our loves in life, what's the point?
Cheers,
Casey

Hey Casey --

>drinking has gotten more relaxing. Not having to worry about falling is huge.

Can you get a DUI in a PWC :)?

>If we give up our loves in life, what's the point?

Here is an odd data point: A year ago, or so, I would always have chosen a red over any white. Now, I cannot drink a red at all, but the cheap Pinot Grigio seems to make swallowing easier ... thank God for screw tops :)

As I have had to give up many things this past year while being in the chair, drinking has gotten more relaxing.
Not having to worry about falling is huge.

If we give up our loves in life, what's the point?
Cheers,
Casey

...Damm Casey, you are a better man than I! At my last ALS clinic the doc told me to start using a cane...I am having a hard time with that. Maybe I should start thinking of it as a method to minimize falls...instead of being an old gimp...
Thanks for your perspectives!

My balance has been markedly worse and I get foot drop badly after drinking 2-3 whiskeys and coke. My results are perfectly repeatable, dead reliable, so I only drink at home now.... I haven't quit because I figure if I have MND.... WTF... I am already dying anyway.

My experiences are pretty much the same as what I have read here. I've pretty much given up alcohol because it definitely causes an overall weakness in my muscles. Even though I'm in a PWC it weakens me enough that transfers to the toilet, bed, etc. get much tougher. Since I care for myself I've got to be careful not to end up in the floor. I do enjoy marijuana but it has pretty much the same effect on me producing a profound weakness. The only positive for the weed is that it usually makes me not give a shit about my predicament..............if only for a little while. I'm going to go on one last cruise this summer and I know that I will be having some cocktails, I've just got to be careful and not end up on the floor of the mens room

Just tell the doorman that if your not out in 10 come get me. Have a great time. Take Care

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back