Diagnosis
03/2014
Country
US
State
mi
City
warren
so, went for emg today, came home,got on the internet, pretty much decided i have als. wouldnt ya know it. my doc just called at 9:00 at night to confirm that he is about 90% sure that i was right. mri next week. im choking, talking funny, muscles twitching uncontrolably in my arms, and i cant even squeeze the darn ketchup. ive got two 18 year olds and a 16 year old, and of coarse my disabled wife who is now sobbing uncontrollably. what a mess. i dont think it has really even sank in yet. i know im not tellin everyone till that 90% is 100% and prayin im wrong.:-(

First things first - relax, stress will make it all worse. I'm praying you are wrong too.

Try to remain calm. The MRI's may tell a different story. One thing I've learned in almost 6 years of living with ALS is stay as positive as possible, it really helps. I'm thinking positive thoughts that it is not.

thank you, its hard though when two months ago i was throwin around 100# items and as a mechanic, very coordinated. now i cant take a gas cap off without two hands. this is gonna be a long week waiting for this MRI. by the way my name is shawn

Hi Shawn,

It is very stressful when one is first diagnosed. I was very active walking 3 to 4 miles per day but, that all stopped on Sept 5. Take time to get you head together and try to stay positive as hard as that may be. Know that you will be added to my prayer list.

Rick

Shawn,

I hope you get a different diagnosis from the MRI but if that is not the case, you will find a lot of support on this website. I am 42, happily married with two kids (12 and 7) and was diagnosed about 8 weeks ago. ALS never even occurred to me (frankly I did not know a lot about it) and no doctor I had seen up to the neurologist had mentioned it. Those first few days were a blur but as many on this site told me, I have found my ability to process and cope with the diagnosis gets better with time. The first few days for me were filled with grief and sadness over what my prognosis would be and what it would put my family through and what I might miss, etc. But I got to the point where I realized those thoughts at least for me were not helpful. I've tried to choose to focus on the time I have with my family and the experiences we can have now rather than focus on what may happen down the road or what I might miss. I would be lying if I said I'm able to do that successfully every day but my ability to do so has gotten better even just 8 weeks in and some degree of normalcy, even if it is a different kind, has returned to our lives. If you do have your diagnosis confirmed, please know I am thinking of you and wish you the best. There are many kind and compassionate people here and it has been very helpful for me as I've processed my diagnosis.

Rick

Hi Shawn,
You and your family will be in my prayers. Try to stay positive and strong. We care on here and will support you as much as possible. Sending you a hug, Kim (Skipper)

thank you...just feeling overwhelmed right now

its just a lot at once. i appreciate your words of encouragement.

Hi Shawn, this forum has been a godsend for me, the pals and cals will answer anything you need to know and if they don't have an answer they do their best to get one, hope you won't have to use it, take care Anne

thank you,, these fasciculations i think they are called,are awful.i cannot take it. is there any way to control them.? up until yesterday it was only my arms, now its everywhere.

Hi Shawn, we are all walking the walk and live in a totally different world. I am so grateful for this forum and am really praying you do not belong here. We are all here for you!
Hugs
Linda

thank you all, im really havin a rough time today.

So sorry that you have to go through this, the waiting for a definite answer is always hard. As far as the fasciculations are concerned, they can be quite disturbing. Initially my husband had them mostly in his upper body, with cramping in his legs. I don't know how he slept with them, because they kept me awake snuggled next to him. I have had nerve damage in my left arm, which has left me with some deficit, and fasciculations at times. I think it is a matter of getting use to them, and they do seem to fade. My husband found the abdominal fasciculations the worst, but thankfully it didn't last that long. Because my husband had a positive AntiGM1 antibody there was some question that it might be something that mimics ALS, called MMN (multifocal motor neuropathy) which can be treated with IVIG. So we did a trial, and his fasciculations almost completely disappeared. He did have some improvement of some symptoms but not enough to change the diagnosis from ALS to MMN. He had the treatment for 6 months, until it lost its efficacy and stopped. One thing that did help him and my fasciculations was acupuncture. I have a very good physiotherapist that also does massage along with acupuncture, and she managed to get rid of mine, except when I overdo it. That might be something to consider, as well as maybe taming down any workouts. Many have noticed an increase of fascics with extra exercise. Swimming is an excellent alternative to weight training, and also helps with stretching.
You will be in my prayers, as with all the others that are dealing with this disease. It will get easier, and you will develop routines that will help. But mostly the camaraderie found hear, and the love and support of family makes it bearable. God Bless.

Paulette

thanks paulette. today is a new day. im tryin to work on my mental health right now, because i'm a basket case. dont let me cry, because then i cant stop, i think i scared my dog..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back