Loved one DX
Country
AUT
State
Tyrol
City
Wattens
Hello!

I am new to this forum and first of all I want to thank the organizers for this forum - very good and epsecially important work – and I am very glad I found this platform!
May I introduce myself..my name is Florian and I am Scientist, though not Neurologist but Immunologist BUT in fact I am here as a son of a seriously ill father.

My Father was born 1948 and was diagnosed roughly 20 years (around 45 of age) ago with Parkinsons disease. Although the progress of the disease was rather slow he is currently considered of being “beyond treatment”, taking his pills every two hours. Beginning 2013 the fingers on his right hand started to retract and he developed some sort of slight drop foot (symptomes whoch do also appear during parkinsons disease). But he recently developed some muscle atrophy in the right hand and the right forearm whoch can not be linked to Parkinsons and suggests some malfunction of the anterioir horn cells). After 3 days at the neurology department last week and all sorts of analysis like PET-Scan, MR imaging, blood test etc. the neurologist made the diagnosis ALS.
This was rather a shock for the whole family – and as you might guess – almost IMPOSSIBLE…that why father get two of these rather rare diseases (Morbus Parkinsosn 1 among 10.000 and ALS roughly 1-3 among 100.000 people ..)
..somehow “we” cannot believe this and I still hope that my father does not have ALS (but rather some “reversible side effects of the treatment” or even a new exacerbation of parkinson)… I fear that if this holds true, my father can not fight both diseases…he already suffered a lot..
..nevertheless I want to prepare myself and my family (my mum and my brother) and that’s why I am here …to become informed.
Do u ever heard of a case like this? I was talking to the neurologist who is quite a “Big-Shot” in the field of Parkinsons disease and he never experienced a case like this in his whole career…somehow this gives me some hope that my father does not have ALS..
I heard something about Sodium-Chlorite as supplementation?
I am grateful for any advice you can give me!
Beside his whole medication for parkinson he now started to take Relutek twice a day and doing physiotherapy three times a week..and psychological treatment ..whoch all hopefully starts soon..
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to share my thoughts and I would really appreciate you comments!
Sorry for potential typos..I am not a native speaker.
All the best!”

Florian

So sorry about your dad. Re sodium chlorite and other diy you might want to check out als dot net. There is more discussion there about diy. Please come back here too though!

Hi nikki

thx for your post and helpful suggestion - already at als.net!

All the best!

florian

There are several studies showing PD patients developing ALS/MND. Genetic testing for gene C9ORF72 which is associated with ALS does show up in PD sometimes. Here is a link to a patient with PD and then ALS/MND.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back