Reason
CALS
Country
US
State
ma
City
Boston
Not sure if this Newly Diagnosed is the right place to post so please forgive me if it's not.

We are moving down the pathway of looking at assisted living facilities. My dad currently lives in a ground level apartment but won't let me help him in any way (cooking, cleaning, etc).

Any tips for what we should look for? I'm thinking a complex that might have nursing care attached. My dad is still mobile, but has had trouble getting up if he kneels on the ground. His biggest issue is that his voice is fading, he has drooling issues, and he's not eating well.

I know this is hard without knowing the ins and outs of my father's current condition but any info/advice would be helpful.

Thank you,

Jennifer

Yes I would think a place that will let him transition to a nursing facility is absolutely the way to go. Unfortunately this is a progressive illness and needs change fast. You should try to have discussions with people beyond the marketing level at the very beginning of your search. Find out just how much assistance the assisted living level gives ( my sense is not much). Everyone is different but within a few months of diagnosis my sister who is in her forties needed to be bathed dressed fed and toileted. If I get ALS my plan is to skip assisted level if I need a facility and go to nursing home.

have you thought about a caregiving service in his current place? might be easier and less expensive than the assisted living or nursing home. you can start with a small about of care and work your way up at the rate of help that he needs. that is what I would want if it was me.

Nikki is right- his needs can change fast and moving is very stressful.

Nikki-

Thanks. An email to use is sams.mom01 at yahoo .com

Barbie-

I would love for him to be able to stay in his apartment but it's a rental and the shower is a tub shower and I'm afraid he will fall getting in and out of it. I'm going to call the ALSA tomorrow and see when they can send a case worker to take a look.

Thanks to you both.

There's an ALS house in Chelsea, the first of its kind anywhere. I would see if you can take a tour to see what the best facilities offer...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back