PALS
Diagnosis
04/2013
Country
US
State
Texas
City
I have posted a few times but I want to introduce myself & say hello. I was diagnosed with ALS on 4/15/2013 ( the worst day of my life).
I am a 43 yr. old female. I have been married to my wonderful & caring husband for 24 yrs. We have a 22 yr old son who helps with my care a lot. He is my heart & soul :smile:

I was a certified nurse aide until last month (April). My hands & arms became too weak to do my job.

My symptoms started in my left hand, which is now usless & atrophied. Right hand is now weak & almost non-usable. I still try to do things with my hands but really can't & I get so frustrated. I am thankful that I can still walk but legs are getting weaker.
My sweet husband & son help me with anything that I am unable to do.
Although we have this horrible disease, I am glad that we have a forum with a wealth of info. & caring PALS.

i am now at same point you are but started over four years ago with first diagnosed dec o9, second diagnosed feb 2010 and for stubborn va third diagnosed sep 10. i strongly believe there are things you can do do to extend life expectancy. some on this forum do not believe this. remember the three rules for any disease. strong belief system, hope, positive mental attitude. please, get your arms wrapped around this (depession speeds progression) and please sign up to be a drug trial volunteer. now that i am over 3 years can no longer participate after doing two drug trials. where am i, still walk, tallk, eat, and breath on my own, fvc 89, exercise regularly, but wife must dress me and cut my food. life is good. peace and success

Hey txgirl, welcome. Like pearshoot says, keeping the mind busy and finding ways to stay involved in projects can have such a positive impact. That is awesome that you have a good support system at home. Reach out anytime! Cheers.

Hi TXgirl. Welcome! I'm new to this too. Just joined a couple days ago.
Kevin

Hello Tex & Ozzy,

First things first -ALS sucks! But, life doesn't.

Took me awhile to get my head around that, but once I did, the sun and stars became shiny again.

Welcome to our community and to this forum. It's teeming with wonderfully generous people, great tips and reliable information. Take it all in... but may I suggest taking it in little bites. That worked for me.

See 'ya around often, I hope.:p:p

Hi Txgirl, glad you have your family round you, they will be a great source of strength in all the challenges you face :) I was diagnosed Sept last year, symptoms also started in my left hand then also my right hand, my wonderful daughter helps me shower and dress and also does all cooking and cuts my food up,I can still eat the foods I love thank goodness! I can manage to walk about the house but use my wheelchair outside. Like many of the fantastic PALS & CALS here say, keep focusing on what you CAN still do and live your life to the fullest! I will be thinking of you,love and hugs,Anne xx

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome and the advice. It helps to have friends here that knows exactly what each other is going through. I am very thankful for this forum.

Welcome Txgirl. Can't add much to what the others have said. The people and the forums are such great support. I had been on this journey alone for two years before I found this. There is so much practical info and emotional support here. It is wonderful. I try to remember that the glass is over half full. If it isn't, I have a short bawl and fill it up again. Enjoy the time we have is my motto. Hope you find this as helpful and reassuring as I do.

Welcome! :smile::smile::lol::lol::lol::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:

hello...
i am shrii and i'm new in this forum site
:)

Hi Shrii, Tx Girl and Ozzy. I've only been on this site for a few days and I've already found it so helpful. It's nice to talk to people who understand what we are going through. Welcome.

Hi Kate, I am so sorry you have to be here, but welcome. There are a lot of good people here that can provide support. Again, welcome.

Hi, i want to introduce myself too... I'm Juan (can call me Jon), from Panama... Hopefully you have heard about the Panama Canal, right?..

Well i'm a young lawyer,25 and well I'm in the frustating path towards diagnosis...

Been in this forum has taught me a lot of things... The most important thing i learned is that no matter how tough life gets, you have to believe that you can handle it and there will always gonna be family and friends to support...

I love you all!

(oh btw, are there young adults with als/mnd in the forum?)

Bless

Jon

Yes, ALS is definitely 9 kinds of suck in an 8 suck sack.

I have been on the forums since February (mom diagnosed 2/2013). I go a week or more at a time without logging in because it's great support, but also makes me sad. I feel like I need to jump in and be part of it and it makes me feel better, and hopefully I can make someone ELSE feel better maybe. :-/ But then I need to take a step back.

As per usual, the message to all is "welcome, but sorry you had to find this place."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back