Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
texas
City
spring
I have a question for those who had Long Term Disability at work. Upon your diagnosis I am assuming that most people are still able to work somewhat. However this is a terminal illness. How did the doctor right the diagnosis at the start that said the individual could no longer work?

Hi,

I have experience with Short Term Disability at workplace but not with Long Term Disability.
But I have heard from a colleague who had leukemia, that upon his diagnosis he applied for LTD to be able to receive long term treatment for his disease.
He was getting a fraction of his normal paycheck (don't remember what %, though) but I don't know how our company health insurance was handling the situation.

When I was diagnosed with ALS, I was already out-of-work because 5 months before that (I already had symptoms but didn't know what they meant), our company had laid off a bunch of workers because it couldn't meet its financial goals for that year.

Upon my diagnosis, my Neurologist ordered me to go immediately to the nearest Social Security office to apply for SSDI and Medicare (I had ALREADY worked enough in my life to qualify for full disability benefits).
I did what he told me and they faxed to S.S. my medical records with my diagnosis.
It took about 5 months for the S.S. benefits to kick in.

I hope this helps.

NH

Hi, I am new here as a caregiver but I can tell you about the LTD benefits. My husband has just been approved for them.
This is how it went. At his job he paid into short term disability, so he collected that money after showing proof (i.e., medical records, etc). When that ran out, his company had long term disability for him(from the same insurance company). Unfortunately, it is a very time consuming process.
He had to go thru many tests-nerve conduction, MRIs, breathing, strength, CAT scans, doctor appt after doctor appt so they could rule out everything else and come up with the ALS diagnosis. After going thru all those hoops, the diagnosing doctor wrote him up as disabled and eligible for the long term benefits. Now, the long term insurance benefits require us to apply for government disability benefits and sent us info for a disability lawyer to take over for us. I hear it is very hard to get government benefits, so we will probably go with the lawyer.
I hope this helps. Its a lot of running around and stress and worry but it's what has to be done.

Hi Penny so sorry you have to be here but welcome. Other people will probably chime in here but I would apply for ssdi without the lawyer. You will have to pay the lawyer and I don't think it is so terribly hard to get approved if you have enough work credits and a solid ALS diagnosis. ALS is what it known as a TERI illness (terminal) and is supposed to be automatic approval. For less clear cut disabilities it is hard to qualify but if you get a remotely competent ss worker it should be just a matter of paperwork

HG sorry I don't know your answer but wish you best of luck

Penny, I agree with Nikki--With a solid ALS diagnosis it is not hard at all to get the SSDI, and like Nighthawk said, they approve you and you wait only 5 months for the benefits to start... don't pay a lawyer if you don't need to.

I wish we had Long term disability insurance--never thought it was important (LOL) like most young healthy people. :) The thing with ALS, you will keep progressing so if you wait too long to get your benefits, you may need your PWC and still be waiting for the benefits to kick in. Most are not able to work for very long at all after they are diagnosed.

I was officially diagnosed in Jan '13, but I am still working and probably plan to do so at least until the end of the year. My progression seems to be slower than others, symptoms almost 2 years ago, and only right arm severely affected at this point.

Anyways, I plan on going on short term disability at work, that will pay my salary at 70% of current, and at the same time will apply for SSDI. ST disability will last for 3 months, then I will convert to LT disability from my work at 60%, SSDI will kick in about that time as well.

Its gets a little complicated then because the LT disability insurance from my work won't pay the full 60% amount, they will pay the offset of what I get from SSDI and the 60%.

One nice thing with my company is I have group term life with them, and that will carry over once I go on disability and I won't have to pay the premiums!

example:

60% of salary is 2K a month
SSDI will pay me $800/mo based on total work salary and work credits ( FYI I have the min needed 40)
LT will pay me $1200/mo

Hope this helps some...

These are all typical examples of why you should always carry STD/LTD coverage @ work if it is offered. The offset is a common clause as well.
Another good if costly thing to enroll in if/as available is LTC insurance, which will cover skilled nursing care in and possibly outside a facility, depending on the plan.
I will "third" that you should not need/pay an attorney for an ALS diagnosed/SSDI if the work hx qualifies. Just remember the golden rules of dealing w/ bureaucracy: double check all forms and instructions; keep a copy of everything, including supporting documents; and capture insofar as you can the name/phone/e-mail of everyone you come into contact with.

Probably need to clarify my question. Right now I am physically able to work. If I am diagnosed will the dr. immediately say that I am disabled and unable to work althought physically I could for a while?

Thank you to all who gave me input, it is nice to talk to someone else about this. I appreciate your advice on the lawyer issue; I was on the social security website and it did seem as if his diagnosis was almost guaranteed due to it being on their list of approved illnesses (or however they called it).
I like the idea of somebody doing all the work for me but as you all said, the price is very high. I guess I will go back to that website and look at the requirements again and get started gathering info. Thanks again!

Probably need to clarify my question. Right now I am physically able to work. If I am diagnosed will the dr. immediately say that I am disabled and unable to work althought physically I could for a while?

In my case my doctor would support me either way.
I decided to stop working.

Applying for SSDI was really not hard. With an ALS diagnosis, it is fast-tracked as a TERI illness. No need for a lawyer. You do have to stop working six months before you can collect. My husband "retired" as he likes to call it in April, had SSDI kick in by October.

My husband had LTC insurance through work. When he was diagnosed the doctor did not say anything about his ability to work. Husband was working full time a the time and continued for more than a year. Did not start claiming from LTC for more than 18 months. Since he works on computer software, he is still able to put in a few hours a day from home, more than 3 years after his diagnosis. Since he manages to make more than the maximum that SSDI allows while claiming it, he doesn't claim SSDI.

I was diagnosed in Jan, but I am physically still able to work, and I plan on continuing to work while I can. My doctor was fine either way, and in reality they have no say in the matter, it is up to you. In terms of SSDI, with an official diagnosis of ALS, you can immediately go on disability, but I feel work gives me a diversion, plus from a financial standpoint, it is helpful, so I will hold off as long as possible... Plus I seem to have slow progression too

Another thought/suggestion - check with your employer about applying for SSDI. My husband's (and mine) employer (a pretty large company) contracted with a service for the SS application process. I didn't know about it until I was told. The service did all the paperwork; I participated in a somewhat short phone interview and answered a few follow up questions. I was given a list of what information was needed for the interview (pretty basic info). The service did the rest. They made sure our kids got their SSDI benefits as well. The service was employer-paid.

When on SSDI there are income limits if you work. I am not sure about all areas but I believe you cannot make more than about $14,000 in earned income for the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back