Cost for getting legal things in order...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cynwldkat

Reason
CALS
Diagnosis
12/2012
Country
US
State
NC
City
New London
My husband was diagnosed with ALS in Nov 2012 but has had symptoms since March 2012 with a weak neck and slurring of speech. We are concerned about getting our legal affairs in order--any good suggestions? Lawyers are very costly and since I am no longer working as I am now his full time caregiver money is not something we have a lot of. I am open for any good suggestions!

Just wondering... if you belong to a church, there may be an attorney parishioner willing to help out. ( Either for free or at very discounted rate). The rector would ordinarily know of such volunteers and make an introduction It's a thought! I know from my law office experience, that many lawyers do pro bono work. Also, if there's a law school nearby, students are willing to help out as well. Especially if it's straight forward work and not the more complex trust agreements etc.

There are lots of good people willing to help; sometimes you just have to ask.

This is a good subject--what legal things are we talking about? The biggie is a will and everyone should have one. If you do already, just read it and make sure it is all up to date. if not, the lawyer who originally drew it up can correct it for less money than a new one. you can also look on line for wills that you can do your self, but I would not suggest that if you think there would be any possible arguing over his estate. the power of attorney you will need very much if he can not speak or sign in the future. I found one on line and downloaded it, then had it notarized. never had a problem with it and have opened and closed bank accounts, sold property, paid taxes. A living will or healthcare proxy is important, check with a local hospital for those forms. The Social security department does not accept a regular power of attorney or healthcare proxy, they have their own form. I never got one of those but really need one. If you have to speak to them on your husband's behalf they must have one of theirs. your husband would have to request it. from them.

Also, most lawyers will give you a free consultation. you can vist several, and ask lots of questions. they often have a flat rate for will preparation because most people are fairly simple. Be sure and get one for yourself at the same time!

So, that is all I can think of or use...but I bet there are alot of people here with good Ideas. I am curious to see what others add!
B

I am currently dealing with my own arrangements. So a few suggestions. Alot depends on state laws. In indiana real property has to be in both names for spouse to inheret 100%. All bank and investments should be in both names and/or spouse named as heir. A big part of funeral costs is the casket. I am planning on being cremated and am having a wooden casket made by an amish friend, no vault. If you go to legal zoom.com you can make a will and they will know all the laws specific to your state. Also, naming someone as power of attorney is only valid while you are alive. After death your will and then state laws have precedence.

Cynwldkat,

Great advice from previous posts, except I'd be hesitant about law school students doing legal work unless the school specifically provides and/or offers such services. I'd hate to see a law student charged with "practicing law without a license" in an effort to assist someone.

As Barbie previously stated, the Social Security Administration will not recognize a Power of Attorney. They will require an Appointment of Representative form to be completed. You can go to The United States Social Security Administration website and type in "Appointment of Representative" form in the search bar. It has the form and instructions which you can print and complete.

Each State generally has one or more organizations that offer pro bono legal services. Check out the following sites for North Carolina: Legal Aid of North Carolina and Welcome to LawHelpNC.org | A guide to free and low cost legal aid, assistance and services in North Carolina They should be able guide you to someone that can prepare a General and Durable Power of Attorney and Last Will and Testament for little if any costs (hopefully).

Finally, I strongly recommend an Advanced Health Care Directive. You may go to the following website which has an Advanced Health Directive form you can print out and complete: http://www.secretary.state.nc.us/ahcdr/

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

Ruth

Hi Ruthie,

Up here at the law school, they have " clinics" on a regular basis. The students are supervised. Services are often free, or pay what you can. Maybe it's a unique program here. I should have been more clear.

Happy Easter.

Hi Elaine,

That's awesome and no need to have been more clear! They may have "clinics" at some of the law schools here in the States, I'm just not personally familiar with them (that's not saying alot of late though---haha). I do pro bono work here in Alabama through a program sponsored by our State Bar. I was only thinking of similar programs in North Carolina that may have more "seasoned" lawyers capable of dealing with slightly more complicated issues such as trusts and the like.

I hope you and your family have a wonderful and blessed Easter. Take care!

Ruth

we used attorney for living trust and necessay side items, pa will medical instructions ect i feel all the bases have been covered , cost $2500, yes expensive but beats cost of probate and hassel

Should your pal be ex military then they will be able to help. Should this not be the case than I think the advice given before is the best. Good luck.

Hi- i mentioned that i was having my casket built by an amish acquience $300.00. Also, we all know you can't it with you, but you also can't die your way out of debt. Any outstanding bills are paid during probate, spouse or heirs can be resposible. Check your state laws, legal zoom dot com will have info.

Randy bergs

Thank you so much for all the posts! I also have been wondering about these types of issues and how to deal with them. My husband's handwriting is getting very bad. I'll take a look at legal zoom and the other sites mentioned. Good advice, I appreciate the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back