Old 01-10-2018, 05:58 PM #1 (permalink)

City: North Richland Hills
State: Texas
Interest: I am a family member of someone with ALS/MND.
Livealot is on a distinguished road
Default SAH grant

My husband was approved for a 100% disability for ALS in August.The VA has been wonderful. We have been approved for a SAH grant.I would like to know what was important to you , if you had a remodel.What you wish you had asked for , or what you really didn't need.The whole process s overwhelming to us.My husband has PBP and can't talk to the builder's giving us bids.Any hints , or idea's would be helpful.Thank you so much.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:16 PM #2 (permalink)

City: Fort Worth
Diagnosed: 05/2017
Interest: I am a caregiver for someone with ALS/MND.
Lscott71 is on a distinguished road
City: Fort Worth
Diagnosed: 05/2017
Lscott71 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: SAH grant

Hi! We don’t live too far away from you. We’re down in southwest Fort Worth, benbrook to be exact.

When our VA housing guy came out he gave us minimum requirements that had to be met. I didn’t know they had to do that. All I was looking for was a walk in shower. Being big government they have tons of regulations. We’re halfway thru our remodel. You’ll want to widen doors, get one solid flooring material through the main floor of the house. They replaced our heat/AC unit. They asked about our windows but those are ok.

The bathroom has to have a roll in shower with non slip tile. There also has to be a five foot turn around in there for power chairs. We’re getti a pedestal sink so my PALS can roll under it and get close to the basin.

We’re using a custom home builder called Sexon custom home. They are terrific! The only slow part of the process is waiting on city and VA inspections after everything they do.

Good luck to you! We really can’t say enough good things about the VA and how they treat ALS patients.
Thanks from
maryhahnward (01-11-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 04:29 AM #3 (permalink)

City: Wilmington
State: NC
Diagnosed: 06/2010
maryhahnward is on a very distinguished road
City: Wilmington
State: NC
Diagnosed: 06/2010
maryhahnward is on a very distinguished road

Lscott71 is on point. Roll in shower, wide doorways to enter and exit the house, a ramp, a sink in which a wheelchair can fit, a higher toilet, most everything else that are VA requirements can be waived for the veteran with ALS. If you can include flooring that is other than carpet that is a plus. Ask the housing agent if they have had experience with other veterans with ALS. If they have they usually have a good perspective on the veterans needs.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:45 AM #4 (permalink)

City: Oakville
State: Ontario
Diagnosed: 05/2014
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
Firefighter58 is just really niceFirefighter58 is just really niceFirefighter58 is just really niceFirefighter58 is just really niceFirefighter58 is just really nice
City: Oakville
State: Ontario
Diagnosed: 05/2014
Firefighter58 is just really niceFirefighter58 is just really niceFirefighter58 is just really niceFirefighter58 is just really niceFirefighter58 is just really nice

I think the first thing you need is communication device so your husband can express his opinion.
Al
Old 01-11-2018, 10:52 AM #5 (permalink)

Thank you all .We chose Quisenberry remodeling. They have done numerous SAH remodels.They send blueprint's and call weekly. Firefighter , Jim has a text to talk , he just doesn't feel comfortable using it. I hope that this passes .Ironically he was a project manager before he lost his voice.He can read the blueprint's and will text replies as needed.I really think he is in denial .Sorry for the long post.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:48 PM #6 (permalink)
Very Helpful Member

City: renick
State: wv.
Diagnosed: 02/2015
chally has much to be proud ofchally has much to be proud ofchally has much to be proud ofchally has much to be proud ofchally has much to be proud ofchally has much to be proud ofchally has much to be proud ofchally has much to be proud of
Very Helpful Member
City: renick
State: wv.
Diagnosed: 02/2015
chally has much to be proud ofchally has much to be proud ofchally has much to be proud ofchally has much to be proud ofchally has much to be proud ofchally has much to be proud ofchally has much to be proud ofchally has much to be proud of

Think about ceiling lift and bidet maybe heated flooring ,good bed windows to look out of.
Yes va rocks!
Chally
Closed Thread

Tags
als, disability, grant, helpful, pbp