Diagnosis
4/2016
Country
US
State
GA
City
Roswell
How much am I allowed for a conversion? I have seen conflicting information on van purchase offset and more money for conversions.

Looking at a sprinter with a under vehicle ramp. Thoughts?

Live in Atlanta. Any names of people who work with VA that help out?

I would contact one of the manufacturers in your area, they would have the answers to all your question.
Al

No idea about the Sprinter but the VA just paid $24,990 for the conversion on my new Oddessey.

Firefighter has a good point. The two big modifiers in Atlanta are Mobility Works and AMS. Wish I had considered the Sprinter when purchasing my Oddessy. I talked with both Mobility Works and AMS. Both are worth talking with. Last time I visited Mobility Works I noticed they had a number of Sprinters. My contact has been Scott Coots, 404-915-9156. Scott is wheelchair bound and gave me reliable service. My Oddessey mod is a jacked up mod and is difficult for the driver to climb aboard. - - tried to send you a PM but for some reason it failed.

When we went thru this process, Tampa VA got my husbands chair first. While we were waiting for the pwc, they measured him and how he was comfortable in his chair. We only had the option of a sienna due to his size and the chair size. The va has to approve your choice mak8ng sure you and your pwc will fit.

What they pay for mods is dependent on your needs. Some people get hand controls, we had no driver mods since my husband couldnt drive. They will put an easy lock in for different places depending on where you may be sitting. One thing to remember, most modded vans have a 1000 to 1300 lbs of allowed cargo weight. My husband and his chair was 700 lbs. By the time I added everything else he needed there was very little weight left for clothing etc.

I would also add that although vans seem big, there isnt much storage with the wheelchair mods. Also, I would consider blind spot monitoring and the sensor package for incoming vehicles. The sienna for me was very hard to drive.

I just bought a Sienna with all the whistles and bells. Not VA so I had to pay the entire cost plus the conversion myself. I ended up buying the van first, then getting Mobility Works to do the conversion. I saved about $4,000 doing it that way. I left the passenger seat (I can still drive) and just kept the tie downs until I get my chair. After all is done, it will hold the chair in the middle row, a driver, and three passengers plus me in the chair. I paid extra to get road side service from Mobility works. The blind spot monitoring and navigation system is something I would not be without.

Make sure all drivers are familiar with the van. I practiced with it in an empty lot before I took it out on the road.

have you heard of the va approving UVL under van lift?

I'm on my second VA funded Honda van, but I offhand have no clue what UVL is. I would suggest you contact a few vendors and ask them.

I'm on my second VA funded Honda van, but I offhand have no clue what UVL is. I would suggest you contact a few vendors and ask them.

Agree with Greg. Don't know what that is.

Our van is a grand caravan ,dodge2014 we have had it 2 yrs now and out of pocket cost us $11.50 .
Mobility works is who we dealt with in Pittsburg pa, they were great. The van would have cost $20,000 and conversion $ 22,00
My cals handles this van well but anything bigger would be a no. I sit in pwc in the way back so not to watch the driving which had been really hard to let go of. Thinking of going for a repeat soon, you get a second conversion but not van. So by selling back what we got ( van & conversion) that should cover newer van and va covers new conversion,at least that's how I see it. Good luck with whatever ya git. Chally

We had an under van ramp.

so you all have a 20k van with 22k conversion for $11. How did you all do it? recent visit to MW was not so good. hard pressure to buy what I did not want. Did I say that I never trusted car salesman. tried to talk me out of sprinter...said they cost 60K +for used...hard to get them into safe zone with weights.

Yep! $11 bucks is all I paid. Mobility works in Pittsburg .

We paid 17k. I wanted blind spot monitoring....steve wanted leather, i wanted navigation.....so he only fit in a sienna with is chair. Starting for the trim line he chose was 35k. Conversion roughly 25k...van was 68k total. Va covered about 50k

There is hope of finding good dealers. My van experience was super easy.

Two dealers contacted us and I found a third locally. Instantly, one stood out from all the others--they were very, very well stocked, very knowledgeable, and knew all about VA. They filled out all the paperwork, ran it through the people at VA (whom they knew well), and accomodated our every need.

In fact, the rep drove vehicles to our house, one each day, so that we could try it on without going to their lot.

Effectively, the van is a form of insurance. You might pay a few bucks (I traded a used Jetta) to finalize the deal, but in the end, you have a really expensive van, no more than two years old, and it's all yours to sell as you see fit. It's the greatest deal that the federal government gives to people who aren't billionaires.

Just sharing this story because the van buying experience might be scary to people who don't understand the system. My point is that you may be pleasantly surprised.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back