Diagnosis
5/2014
Country
US
State
FL
City
Tampa
Heard a radio story, and I dont know that it is true, but I will pass it on yo you. The report talked about caregivers of vets, who belong to the caregiver program, can receive up to 2k a month for the care they provide. The money is dependent on the vets rating.

I believe it's called 'Aid and attendance'. Doesn't require being a member, tho.

What I heard was specificlly called a caregiver alowance. They were talking about disabled war vets. It may be aid and attendance but thenwomen on the program were talking about the caregiver program at the VA. I know there is one but I never got involved. I will see if I can find the radio link and invesyigate.

Caregiver Eligibility Check
Are you interested in applying for VA's Comprehensive Assistance for Family Caregivers Program? Answer a few questions to find out if you meet the criteria for VA's new program for certain Veterans needing the assistance of a caregiver. Based on your answers to the questions, you will be guided to complete the appropriate online application for VA benefits.
If you need assistance in applying for VA's Comprehensive Assistance for Family Caregivers Program, or have questions about the Program, call us at 1-877-222-VETS (8387).
Questionnaire
Is the person needing caregiver assistance currently in the military?
Yes No
Is the person currently enrolled in VA health care benefits?
Yes No
Does the Veteran or Servicemember require at least six months of continuous supervision or assistance with performing basic functions of everyday life due to a serious injury or mental disorder (including psychological trauma or other mental disorder) incurred or aggravated in the line of duty on or after September 11, 2001?
Yes No
It appears the Veteran or Servicemember may meet the criteria for VA's Program of Comprehensive Assistance for Family Caregivers. Please apply now. If you need assistance in applying or have questions about the Program call us at 1-877-222-VETS (8387).

National Cemetery Administration
U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs | 810 Vermont Avenue, NW Washington DC 20420
Last updated July 28, 2016

Last edited:
The program is available for vets suffering serious injury or mental disorder post 9/11/2001. Seems to be primarily designed for war vets. Probably not for ALS, but who knows? Regional VA offices interpret programs differently. VA rep told me I definitely would not be eligible since my retirement date was prior to 9/11/01.
although not eligible, I still love, love, love the VA.

It is specifically for post 9/11 veteran caregivers. The veteran has to have been injured while deployed. A post 9/11 veteran with ALS, their caregiver doesn't qualify.

In other news there is an expansion to this bill that was introduced in 2015-2016 in the Senate and the House side. The expansion includes pre and post 9/11 veteran caregivers. If anyone feels this bill would be useful, and beneficial, to the veteran with ALS and their caregiver(s), it would be prudent to write your two senators and representative and ask them to vote for it. Sharing your personal story is a good strategy because it makes they can't know how this affects us if we do not let them know.

Overall the new bill is incredible, yet my concern is that they are having so many issues with the current caregiver policy that I wonder how this will be implemented successfully. If it is then our military ALS community would find some aspects of this new bill to be hugely helpful.

This is the link to the bill https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/senate-bill/1085/text

Currently veterans whose caregivers have qualified for the monthly stipend based on their veterans injuries and qualify for aid and attendance also receive the A&A.

although not eligible, I still love, love, love the VA.[/QUOTE]

Right there with you Frank - it is a true blessing to have the VA in our court.

The VA has helped me & my wife so much through this nightmare, we are extremely grateful!

I echo the sentiments of Mary, Chally and Frank. The VA has been a blessing for us.

Ed

It was for us also. It saved us from bankruptcy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back