Diagnosis
10/2015
Country
Us
State
Ga
City
Guyton
Does the VA mandate a fiduciary be named for a veteran with ALS who has been rated at R1 or R2?

Occasionally my husband has been asked if he can still handle his finances, and he says yes. As long as he is making the decisions and has the mental capacity to understand what's going on....

If a vet needs someone to be responsible, then the program is a good one.

If things are working ok, I wouldn't bring it up.

Maybe someone else has a better handle.

The subject came up once some five years or so ago, but the VA has not mentioned it again.

I cannot imagine a regular situation where a PALS would be declared incompetent to handle own affairs. If a PALS has family, then even a completely paralyzed PALS should have someone appointed power of attorney for heatlh matters and power of attorney for money matters.

An eldercare lawyer or an estate lawyer can set up your Powers of Attorney when they're doing your advanced directives.

Thank you all for your responses. The VA has an initial rating for my husband. They want to label him "incompetent" when it comes to managing the finances. The VA physician who saw him originally asked who took care of the finances..he responded "my wife" The dr asked no more questions. Had my husband known , he would of cleared it up then. That led the VA dr to assume he couldn't handle them. . Which is ridiculous. How does he combat this? We have a letter from his neurologist at the Mayo Clinic on the way stating he is able to manage his personal affairs without limitation. He has been going to the Mayo since the beginning . I am hoping the letter will be sufficient

Are you using the PVA, Paralyzed Veterans Association, to represent his claim to the VA? It might be helpful to tap into them for assistance on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back